[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
respite carer and LHA rules - Carers UK Forum

respite carer and LHA rules

All about money
Hi all, I care full time for my wife and I receive the carer's allowance. Our son, (42) stays at weekends and sometimes during the week to give me some respite as my wife needs help 24 hours a day. We rent our house privately, and receive housing benefit, based on LHA rules, for one bedroom. We have a second bedroom for our son. Do you think the council would consider giving us the two bedroom rate, as our son's help is vital and we couldn't manage without him?
Each LA seems to have their own interperitation of the rules. All you can do is ask and if they say no ask why not and take it up with your MP.

Sorry I can`t be more helpful.xx
Hi Richard and Glynis,
It's certainly worth investigating. I always like to find out what the facts are before taking action. First, I'd suggest looking at the LA's website to see what they say. If it looks straight forward, then go ahead and ask. If not, Carers UK has a brilliant helpline, so it's often busy, but I understand you can email them and they will get back to you.
Have you asked Social Services for a needs assessment for your wife and Carers Assessments for both you and your son? Under certain circumstances, help is available from them. However there is a scheme called "Direct Payments" where the disabled person is given a budget which can be used to pay carers. Don't be put off by the admin. involved with running a scheme like this, as you can probably get an extra payment for a "payroll service". Then your son could be paid via DP's. Come back if you have any queries.