[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Changes from DLA to PIP or ESA - Carers UK Forum

Changes from DLA to PIP or ESA

All about money
Post a reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hi my name is Harry, I have a severely disabled daughter aged 46.
My wife and I aged 76 and 79 respectively care for our daughter 24/7 with no help from Social services. My daughter has Cerebral Palsy/Learning Difficulties.
Today we received a letter from Jobcentreplus advising us that my daughters benefits would change on the 29th January 2015. I have little understanding of the benefits system, hence this post.
At present my daughter receives DLA, Income Support and DLA.
Jobcentreplus advise us that that my daughters benefits will change to ESA and advise that the payments will be £123.70 per week made up as follows.
Living Expenses 72.40
Extra money because of the disability income guarantee 15.55
Extra money because you are in the support group 35.75
TOTAL £123.70 per week

This is actually around £3 more than she gets at present.
I was always under the impression that my daughter 's benefits would be PIP related. Can anyone confirm my daughter is being put on the correct benefit.

Regards
Harry
ESA is the replacement benefit for Incapacity benefit.
DLA is a separate benefit and is being replaced by PIP.

My hubby gets ESA and also DLA, although at some stage the DLA will be replaced by PIP

Its all very confusing
Confusing it cerainly is.
The letter I received today says that ESA will be replacing my daughters DLA at the end of this month.
Harry
Harry, has your daughter been receiving Income Support? My son gets IS plus DLA at the moment. This might be a good time to have a review with Social Services, to think about having a bit of help on a regular basis, so that your daughter gets used to someone else helping her? Maybe you could also have a Carers Assessment?
Harry, fear not, we are all confused by the benefits system. Thats what Carers UK is here for, and you might find a phone call to them - or a visit to your local Citizens Advice or Carers Centre - will help.
I think you will find that ESA and DLA are separate systems, my son who is 20, gets both. DLA is changing gradually to PIP, on a roll-out basis, and so far it has been a bit of a muddle.
By the way, given your age, what are your long-term plans? Do you have a social worker to talk to?
Hi Scally
Don't talk to me about the CAB, having spent over two/three hours with them over three sessions on another problem regarding direct payments all they came up with was a telephone number for me to ring. To be quite honest I'm getting ready to chuck in the towel, by the way what is a Social Worker, the only person we ever see is a Practitioner Unqualified and the only thing she was interested in was how we used my daughters Direct Payments. You can read my update in the "New to the Forum" threads. were your have commented before.
You say your son gets both DLA & ESA, well the letter I've just received says that my daughters DLA and Income support will be replaced by an ESA at the end of January.

The exact wording is
"We will pay Employment and Support Allowance from 29th January 2015. This will replace your incapacity benefit, Income Support on the grounds of illness or disability or Severe Disablement Allowance. We will pay your previous benefit up to the day before your entitlement to Employment and Support Allowance starts"

Harry
Edit
Have just had a look at the following https://www.gov.uk/pip-checker, On inputting my daughters date of birth and where we live which is the East Coast near Skegness, it would appear that we should be receiving a letter some time this year regarding PIPs, so it would appear that we cannot yet apply for a PIP, which would suggest from what you say that my daughter will not be receiving what she is due.
Harry_14112 wrote:We will pay Employment and Support Allowance from 29th January 2015. This will replace your incapacity benefit, Income Support on the grounds of illness or disability or Severe Disablement Allowance.
The bit I have hightlighted in bold is not Disability Living Allowance
It sounds like the ESA is replacing the Income Support and she will continue with the DLA until that is replaced by PIP.
Many thanks for the help, all is begining to make a little more sense now.

Harry
Yes, hope so! I reckon you were possibly getting confused between Incapacity benefit and Disability Living Allowance. You wouldn't be the first, and you wont be the last, person to be bewildered, in fact billions go unclaimed every year because the system is so darned complicated.
Yes I think bewildered just about sums me up :) In the past I never got involved with benefits, unfortunately my wife cannot now handle these problems, not sure that I'm much better, but I can use a computer.

Harry