[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Change from DLA to PIP. - Carers UK Forum

Change from DLA to PIP.

All about money
After initially being refused DLA, my wife was assessed by an ATOS doctor in July 2013 & was awarded both high rate mobility & low rate care DLA with a review date of July 2015.

She has now been told that she has to apply for PIP & that the form must be returned by the 24th October 2014 or her DLA will stop. As with the DLA form it will be me who completes it since my wife would not be capable of completing the form.

I find it odd that she got her DLA award on the basis of a doctor's assessment just over a year ago & yet I know people who've been on DLA for longer & who self-assessed & have not been asked to apply for PIP.

If her PIP claim fails, will her DLA still continue to the original review date of July 2015 whilst we go through yet another appeals proceedure?
hi sorry to hear of your probs,will try to help. I have been filling in DLA,PIP,ESA etc,plus doing assessments,reconsiderations,appeals &tribunals non stop for two yrs. All for M.E. in E>Anglia.
Though the condition is different,the process is the same.
firstly PIP is taking over from DLA,so my educated guess is when you get PIPresult that will take precedent. Don't worry PIP assessments are taking up to a year to complete. I have first hand experience of that . also phone up PIP office & ask for two week extension,because of ill health.
I have never known them to refuse. that would give you extra two weeks.then if you want,i will assist you,if you contact me.
best wishes dan ward mesnorfolk@btinternet.com
Thanks Dan, I've only just checked the forum again. We have till the 30th Oct to send back the completed form.

Apart from it only just being over a year since my wife was assessesd by an ATOS doctor, I also find it odd that, according to the DWP, I have to fill in the form as though it's my wife filling it in. i.e I have to write "I" & not "she" despite the fact I have to fill in any forms for her so it'll look as though she has filled in the form & is, therefore, capable of doing it.

I'll write a screed at the end stating that the entire form has been completed by me.

My wife's main problems are her mobility & her confusion but a casual observer in a snapshot of time may not pick up on it.
Is it doctors that are doing these assessments? A friend told me he was summoned to an assessment. One was a social worker (child spec.), one doctor that was interested in post natal work (he was drawing) first nurse was looking outside. The chair was a doctor and he had never seen the notes on the case they were assessing.
Bernard. :-???
It was an ATOS doctor that assessed my wife after we challenged the original decision, it hadn't got to the tribunal stage.
I have to say that he was extremely thorough & quite helpful, despite the general negative view of ATOS as a whole.
The point is that they are sending the forms this early because it can take that long to sort out the claim. Seriously - it's nothing to do with bringing the claim up short.

Some people have waited months and months for a decision.

In fact, under the old DLA rules, you'd have got the forms about 6 months before the end of the claim period.
charles47 wrote:The point is that they are sending the forms this early because it can take that long to sort out the claim. Seriously - it's nothing to do with bringing the claim up short.

Some people have waited months and months for a decision.

In fact, under the old DLA rules, you'd have got the forms about 6 months before the end of the claim period.
Yes I understand that but it's the sheer randomness & complete lack of consistency that puzzles me, i.e. as I said in an earlier post, I find it odd that a self-assessed person hasn't had a PIP application after nearly 3 years but my wife who was medically assessed got her PIP application after 15 months.

She got her letter from ATOS within a few days of the PIP claim being sent to the DWP & they said it could take over 26 weeks.

Her DLA payment stopped in October but it's been reinstated as a PIP payment & backdated & will continue until the next ATOS assessment.
Hi,
My wife has not been assessed for PIPs but she had to fill a form in for ESA. The problem my wife has is, how can I put it M.S., a lot of places including the medical people don't accept that M.S., is a long term illness. They think it's a cold. So just imagine the problems I'm going to get when she has to apply for PIPs. I'm getting in plenty of medication for the headache to come.
Bye,
Bernard. :!:
Bernard wrote:Hi,
My wife has not been assessed for PIPs but she had to fill a form in for ESA. The problem my wife has is, how can I put it M.S., a lot of places including the medical people don't accept that M.S., is a long term illness. They think it's a cold. So just imagine the problems I'm going to get when she has to apply for PIPs. I'm getting in plenty of medication for the headache to come.
Bye,
Bernard. :!:
That's worrying, I thought everyone knew that MS is a permanent degenerative illness.
Bernard, my husband had MS and we had no problems with anyone understanding it was a degenerative illness, including the DWP.