[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
carers and council tax exemption. - Carers UK Forum

carers and council tax exemption.

All about money
Hi.
I want to let you know i found out info about unpaid carers who live in same home as a serverly mentaly impaired caree and whether that carer can be exempt form council tax.
The answer to that is yes BUT the carer themselves has to serverly mentaly impaired.
What a sad, ridiculous and depressing way of living we have in this country!
I might add just in case anyone doesn't know, if one person is Severely Mentally Impaired and only one other person living in household you can get a 25% discount. It the only other resident is there only for the purposes of caring you used to be able to get a double disregard discount of 50% but I'm a bit out of date with legislation and not sure if that is still applicable.
People with severe mental impairment are completely exempt from council tax. The rules about carers exemptions are more complicated, it depends on a variety of things. If in doubt, ring the Carers UK helpline. However, if you are unpaid, with a low income yourself, then make sure that you apply for a reduction in council tax on the grounds of income.