[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Cash bonus to give carers a break, Lib Dems promise - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Cash bonus to give carers a break, Lib Dems promise

All about money
Scally wrote:Well, yes and no. Caring is like any other occupation: you can get better at it the more you learn about it. A start-up law graduate might expect to bring home £25k, an experienced lawyer, £150k. Caring is very similar: I consider myself an expert carer after 25 years in the saddle, and I'm keen to pass on my expertise to anyone who wants to listen. There is no gravy train, but you dont have to hitch hike, you can catch the express train, if you get my drift. I'm speaking as someone who blagged two tickets to the Womad festival for the price of one, (a saving of £120) and two tickets to the boxing finals of the Commonwealth games for the price of one as well (another £40). Most people wouldn't even bother to ask for the Carer freebie: I always do. Suddenly things that appear beyond our reach become affordable. But you have to ask.
My income as a carer is around £15,000 a year less than it would be if I were working, Scally, I've no savings any more, my pension will give me around £3,000 a year on top of my state entitlement, my car is worth only what the scrap man will give me and I'm on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, have been for twelve years, expect to be for at least another ten. I'm afraid a free ticket to Womad doesn't cut it for me.
I now have 2 occupational pensions brit rail / tyne wear metro plus carers allowance and am just onto the tax threshold after rent , council tax , utilities , and general household items food, insurance, phone , clothes and on and on I`m left with less then £5 a day without the financial support from the person I care for I could not care for her , she is indirectly paying for her own care ....funny thing is I will be much better off when I lose the carers allowance in Aug 2016 and claim the state retirement pension .... lets hope the new single tier pension starts on time in May 2016 single persons pension £150 per week ...
I have a free bus pass too. And I also blag loads of totally free stuff like three free tickets to one of the BBC Commonwealth Games opening events pop-up festival. Actually, there is loads of stuff out there for free, if you are willing to check it out. And I even pick blueberries for free off the fells to make jam, and have a freezer full of free organic roadkill venison - there are ways to live on less and still have fun. Luckily in my case it is more of a lifestyle choice than a necessity.
well no feels or road kill here. Need min wage to survive. Just back from much needed break at home and have he opportunity to see friends but to fund it I have not eaten much and lost a few pounds. Carers allowance does not cut mustard and savings running out. No pension yet!
Scally wrote:I have a free bus pass too. And I also blag loads of totally free stuff like three free tickets to one of the BBC Commonwealth Games opening events pop-up festival. Actually, there is loads of stuff out there for free, if you are willing to check it out. And I even pick blueberries for free off the fells to make jam, and have a freezer full of free organic roadkill venison - there are ways to live on less and still have fun. Luckily in my case it is more of a lifestyle choice than a necessity.
how you get free bus pass i've looked can't see anything
About cares able to get a free pass, unless it's a Scotland only.
Sorry about the text doing this on my phone.
In Scotland anyone over 60 is entitled to a bus pass.
Free bus pass is useless for me as the buses don't take my son's powered wheelchair and my mobility scooter! That is why we have to drive a big monster Renault Master with a tailgate lift

Eun
Presumably from the Motability scheme? I've never had that experience as both my carees were ambulant, apart from a period when my fil had to wait for a re-amputation and then was getting mobilised on his new leg.
Sometimes I think there is too MUCH help available - you need to be a flipping expert to get your entitlements plus all the optional extras, and it is all paperwork... Nobody ever asks how you are supposed to work out what to claim for, and the DWP doesnt help. For example, many parents of disabled youngsters fail to transfer their kids from Child Benefit onto ESA at age 16, and many older people don't realise they could claim attendance allowance.
Not all carers are on the poverty line, some like ours have a large and ever-changing family with earnings and pensions coming in, students who need support, as well as endlessly changing benefits from multiple carees, so it can get very complicated indeed. But I make a point of claiming everything I'm entitled to, because it does all add up and make a huge difference to our quality of life and ensure that the disabled person doesn't become stuck at home all day with no occupation.
Have you seen the latest? You can now snoop on your neighbours to see if they have a car on disability, if they have the government want you to snitch on them if you feel they don't need it by walking normally etc!

I am disgusted at the way our personal things are being put on the internet for all to see!
Yes Scally, £4,000 non returnable deposit and give up son's mobility allowance for 5 years but we have no other choice if we want to get around.

Eun