Carers allowance/state pension

For information and discussion about benefits
Penny wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 am
thanks for all the replies. I still dont know WHO is supposed to look after the caree when you are no longer their “carer”.
The same as if you weren't around now - other family members or the state.
If you continue being a carer past retirement age you just don't get 'paid' for it

Yep, the system sucks
My pension date is fast approaching and I will still be caring for my daughter but just not getting paid for it.

I know I’m luckier than most as my daughter doesnt have physical problems but I do feel very sorry for people who have to care for a serevely handicapped person. I know in the last couple of years I get more tired and I am not as fit and strong as I was five years ago. There is no way I could move my daughter if she was immobile.
Well I’m nearly there now - a pensioner!! I got my bus pass last week and my first pension money will go in the bank in a couple of weeks.

I will lose my Carers allowance but my week will still be taken up with driving my daughter around, doing all her paperwork, making and keeping appointments, taking her out etc etc.
I still get little time to myself and can’t really do what I want to do.
So I’m still a carer but now I dont get a penny! This needs looking at.
Hi Penny
It also sounds time to start working on a plan for what happens to her when you are either no longer around, or unable to care for her yourself

I write as someone who has had 2 friends9s in their 60s taken suddenly seriously ill this week. One cares for her 90 year old parent, the other for her 35 year old son. Neither had emergency or long term plans in place for their carers. It's a nightmare in both cases with SS saying they cant/won't provide cover
I agree with Mrs. A.
My own son with LD lives in his own flat, comes home regularly. It's a lovely flat, in fact his lounge in a one bed flat is the same size as the one in my cottage! We have made it a real home for him, and he's very houseproud.
If you haven't done so already, put your daughter's name on the housing waiting list, and also ask Social Services how special needs accommodation for those with LD is allocated.
In my area, I'm spear heading a campaign for all parents of those with LD to have a right to retire. The LA doesn't record age of parents at the moment, only the age of the person concerned. That is our first challenge, to identify those who are reaching retirement age.
Good point. actually she has been talking about moving out for some time and she has a boyfriend so they are hoping to move in together. They will both need support with sorting out bills etc. We put their name on the housing list ages ago and they keep making bids but have had no luck.

I did talk to housing last week because they bid on a one bed flat just 5 minutes walk from our house so it would be ideal. I was told there are 3 lists one for homeless people, one for people who have been on the list a long time and one called Housing Options which she is on apparently. I asked whether she could be given any extra consideration as she has lived in the village all her life but they said no. They said we should look at private rental and I said we had already done so but people wanted a guarantor and a hefty deposit up front.

We have recently been appointed an OT to help her gain independence and I did mention it to her but she seemed to think there was nothing she could do and when I asked whether it would help if we wrote to the council or housing association she said that could sometimes be detrimental!

I will speak to her social worker next week. Thanks.
Just a thought peeps.

I understand that you can choose not to take one's state's pension (and gain small premium when it is taken) at state pensionable age. IF one did this could one still receive CA?

I am thinking of where a small private pension be matured so that with CA and it be just as well postponing date?

Apologies if this totally naîve! :-???
G Fraser_1612 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:55 pm
Just a thought peeps.

I understand that you can choose not to take one's state's pension (and gain small premium when it is taken) at state pensionable age. IF one did this could one still receive CA?

I am thinking of where a small private pension be matured so that with CA and it be just as well postponing date?

Apologies if this totally naîve! :-???
Its worth thinking about but too late for me.
The OT is going to speak to the council and find out how they allocate properties to people with LD and see if she can do anything.
My son rents privately His deposit amounted to a month's rent, if I remember rightly. I don't think he had a guarantor. Are you dealing with a letting agency? As a vulnerable adult the Housing Benefit can be paid directly from the council to the landlord, on the day it's due, so no real need for a guarantor.
How much support will she need. Has she had an assessment to cover this situation?