[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
carers allowance or severe disability benefit - Carers UK Forum

carers allowance or severe disability benefit

All about money
Hi there I got the enhanced daily living of pip and now want to get either carers allowance or severe disability, does anyone know what is best? i receive esa in work related activity group and my partner is on JSA, i would appreciate any advice on this if anyone has any thanks in advance,
Veronica someone has to claim Carers allowance for looking after you and I think if your partner is on JSA then hes available for work and wont be able to get it. Your best bet is to ring the Carers UK benefit helpline as they have all the knowledge
As far as I know, the severe disability premium is only paid to people on PIP care and live alone. If you live with your partner, you won't be eligible for it. Your partner could claim Carers Allowance for looking after you, but he would have to give up claiming JSA as you can't have both at the same time. It would mean he doesn't have to sign on and be available for work, and you would probably get extra money and/or a reduction of your rent/council tax through the carer premium and disability premium. Carers UK helpline should be able to advise you your best options.
Janet_1409 wrote:As far as I know, the severe disability premium is only paid to people on PIP care and live alone. If you live with your partner, you won't be eligible for it. Your partner could claim Carers Allowance for looking after you, but he would have to give up claiming JSA as you can't have both at the same time. It would mean he doesn't have to sign on and be available for work, and you would probably get extra money and/or a reduction of your rent/council tax through the carer premium and disability premium. Carers UK helpline should be able to advise you your best options.
I claim full care allowance for my wife ( I have done so for over 20 years). My wife has M.S., I gave up fulltime work to look after her. That was a request by the jobcentre at that time this allowed me to claim I.S., and my wife to keep her disability benefits. And yes she is on EeSA.
Be sure to ring the Carers UK helpline. They helped me with a complex situation and in the end I was £50 per week better off. That's what I call a result. The CUK people are experts, unfortunately the DWP helpline staff have very little training these days. My closest friend used to work for them, now retired, but she despaired of their advice lines at times. The staff use a computer system BUT the computer doesn't allow for all eventualities!!! It is too easy to innocently write the wrong thing on a form, not realising how it will affect other benefits where both of you are claiming. So the CUK advisors are the ones to ask.