[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers Allowance & ESA - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Carers Allowance & ESA

All about money
Floyd thank you so much, you have explained it so well. So how does OH apply for income related ESA without there being a break in benefit? Did not know we could choose which benefit we get, I thought it was doene by whether you were working for the previous eligiable time?
From how you explained it,sounds simple, think I will have to have another look at ESA information. Glad to hear the DHP does not take PIP into account as thought if it was they would say we can afford the extra rent.
Once again I really do appreciate yours and others support in this minefield. It was so much easier getting a salary :lol:
Petal, Please go to CAB, Welfare rights or ring AGE UK. What Floyd has said is Not Correct.
Even on Contribution based ESA, there is Income related components because You are part of His Claim. ( it is the income related part that is covering You, Your Council Tax and Rent )

Regarding Premiums, Your Husband will already have The Enhanced Disability premium added. ( this because of the income related part )

Your Husband Will NOT Receive The Severe Disability Premium as this is only given if He lives ALONE ( and no one claims Carers ) or if BOTH of You receive PIP.

Because You live together and have a joint claim, He will never be entitled to The Severe Disability premium.

Carers allowance is Always taken off any income related benefit, But The Carers premium of £34.00 will be added to the claim if You do claim CA. ( But You are then better off by the £34.00 )

I do not mean to step on anyone's toes, But You must get face to face advice or risk Either missing Out or by Losing Out.
The Link below explains it in detail, But You Must read it correctly or it is easy to believe that Severe Disability is paid when it is not. The word to concentrate on is ALL the criteria must apply.

http://www.pkc.gov.uk/article/5347/Empl ... me-Related
Many many thanks dancing queen, very clearly said, this is why posting on the forum is useful, a mind of information by so many different members, of course we should all check different opinions before taking as Gospel! but yes I will be seeing an advisor from one of the organisations you mention.
I just don't know why I can't get my head round it, i am usually quite good at understanding this sort of thing, Afterall I did all the paperwork for OH PIP tribunal successfully :)
Petal wrote:Many many thanks dancing queen, very clearly said, this is why posting on the forum is useful, a mind of information by so many different members, of course we should all check different opinions before taking as Gospel! but yes I will be seeing an advisor from one of the organisations you mention.
I just don't know why I can't get my head round it, i am usually quite good at understanding this sort of thing, Afterall I did all the paperwork for OH PIP tribunal successfully :)
Hello Petal,

I don't think it's a case of you not being able to get your head round it, as quite clearly you're very capable, but more a case of there being too many combinations of various benefits to remember.

You could aways have a go with this benefits calculator & then still go to the CA, but armed with the benefits suggested by the calculator.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/benefits-adviser
dancing queen wrote:The Link below explains it in detail,
Hi DQ, Ive looked at that link and Im not sure that it is complete. The rules for Contribution ESA seem to be for the work-related group not for the support group and I think there are more differences between the 2 groups than they are saying. They only mention in passing that there is no time limit if you are put in the support group and the assumption seems to be that you will be in the work-related group.

However, Im another one who is having trouble getting her head round the rules and I could be wrong.

I too would recommend that you get expert advice. I recommended the Carers UK help because they are expert at knowing the rules from a disability/carers viewpoint.
http://www.carersuk.org/about-us/contact-us
What is good about age uk is, If You ring AGE UK, They usually have Advisors that come out and do Home Visits.
Their Advisors are very good and up to date with All Benefits. If You google them and go to their page, There will be a search button to find Your local Branch and telephone number. (They help people who are Over 50 )
And Yes Benefits are a Minefield, As I said in My original post, I decided to Claim Income support rather than My Husband claim ESA.
A lot of people say that That can not be done, But it can. The only people Who can claim Income Support still are those in Receipt of Carers Allowance.
However this would not suit everyone, Which is why a Personal Check for Your Own circumstances is essential.
Anyway I wish You All The Best and Hope You get sorted soon!
Hi Crocus. Again that is Why it is important to get impartial advice for Your own circumstances.
The link was just to give an overview, Not every combination. If You read the link carefully You will see the following statement....
•Contributory ESA is time limited to 365 days (52 weeks) unless it has been decided that you have limited capability for work-related activity and you have been placed in the Support Group
The words to look at here are UNLESS and AND.
Limited capability for work related activity means You are NOT able to work, It does not mean You are in A work related group. If You have limited capability and fulfil all the support group criteria You are Put into The Support Group.

If You are unwell or disabled but May improve/get better in the future They will usually put You in WRAG, ( The work related group ) They still accept You are ill/disabled, and have a limited capacity for work But believe You may return to work in the future With some help or training or Allowances put in place.
It is too involved to explain on here How ESA decisions are come to, Which again I say to everyone
Please see an advisor who is knowledgeable about ALL the different scenarios and Criteria's

Because of ALL of the above, I decided Not to go down that path.
dancing queen wrote: If You read the link carefully You will see the following statement....
•Contributory ESA is time limited to 365 days (52 weeks) unless it has been decided that you have limited capability for work-related activity and you have been placed in the Support Group
As I said - that is the only mention of the support group.
Hi again Crocus. I am not saying Anything. I am just putting links to the information out there.
ESA is a minefield! But basically You can get ESA if you have limited capability for work.

It all depends on individual Circumstances if It is WRAG or Support Group, Income Based or CB based.

You can get Contributions based ESA if You have paid enough NI contributions for the relevant period. ( if you are awarded wrag group though, it will only last 365 days, it is only ongoing if awarded support group )
Contribution based ESA is not restricted by savings. However.....

If CB ESA is not enough to live on because You have rent to pay or a Mortgage or a Partner who does not work, ( and savings below £8000 for a single person or £16000 for a couple ) then CB ESA is topped up with Income based ESA to make up the difference.
Getting The Income based element means they will take into account Savings and Earnings etc...

If You are only entitled to CB ESA, ( with No income related top up ) You will Not get Any Disability Premiums........

I could go On and On but I would need All day and it would take up Pages and Pages of the different combinations that are applicable!

The link below is very concise, But again will not explain Everyones Circumstances. That is Why advice is needed for each Individual Circumstance.
I can not possibly explain to each and everyone How or What to do.

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employ ... owance-esa

Also Just to add something else to the Mix, This is a Message to Petal :P

If You claim Carers allowance, When You apply state that You want to backdate to THE START of Your Husbands PIP award. ( Not the day that You heard, But the date that is on The award Letter ie.. if Your Husband was entitled from 01/11/2014, Then state You want it back dated to that date )
What this will mean is although You will not receive the £62 carers allowance backdated to that date ( as there was another benefit in place ie The income related part of ESA )
You will get the Carers Premium, of £34 per week Backdated All the way to the start.

For this to happen You must put Your claim in within 3 months of being told about the award of PIP.
( Mine was backdated 5 months, but I know others who waited longer for PIP to be awarded to have Theirs backdated 11 months! )

Now before Anyone starts saying This is not correct or adding to the Mix, I would again just say....
Go to a Benefits Advisor with ALL of Your Own Circumstances and ask for a Full Benefits Check!!!
My post seems to have stirred up some mixed understanding of the benefits system and as great as debate is of course I will seek advisor input, and yes DQ I actually applied for CA back in January and received a letter explaining to let them know when OH PIP is awarded, so this is what I have now done, asking for it to be backdated so hopefully they won't take to long to decide.
Crocus your advice and info is as ever very concise and easy to understand.
I thank you both and others who have helped me clear up some uncertain points.