[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Self employed, WTC now a carer - Carers UK Forum

Self employed, WTC now a carer

All about money
Hi, I'm new here. I just claimed carers allowance after my daughter received an award of DLA. I am self employed and on Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit. Due to my caring I haven't managed to get my business off the ground and have made a loss for 2 tax years now. HMRC are always on my case saying my business needs to grow and they have already stopped my WTC once, which I got back on appeal. I am now wondering if I will be better off, stress wise if not financially, to cease trading, do it as a hobby and claim IS instead? Of course if it ever gets off the ground and makes money then I can reconsider. Any advice on this would be very much appreciated, any experiences etc. to help me make the decision please. Thanks in advance!
Hello Debbie and welcome to the forum :)

Sorry but I can't answer your question - however I'm sure that the Carers Uk Adviceline team can !
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

0808 808 7777
advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.
the telephone lines are generally oversubscribed so it's usually better to email them in the first instance.
I've run a small business whilst being a multiple carer, it's very hard work. I'd suggest that you thought carefully about whether this is the right time to run a business. How much stress does it cause you? How much pleasure does it give you? Can I ask how old your daughter is, and the nature of her disability? This might affect your decision.
Thanks, my daughter is 7 and has Sensory Integration Disorder and anxiety. She wont even go to the toilet alone because she is scared of everything, I have to home educate her due to her sensory issues, clothes hurt so she has to wear them 4 sizes too big and she doesn't digest information the same as other children. I love my business, I make enclosures for exotic animals but so far I have only made them for our pets and none to sell, which is obviously the goal. I have done some calculations and if I go onto IS I will probably only be £15 a week worse off but no pressure and no stress, in theory. Do they leave you alone if you are on Income Support?
I believe that if you are in IS and eligible for Carers Allowance (which will be deducted from IS) they cannot force you to work.