[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers Allowance and Self Employment - Confused! - Carers UK Forum

Carers Allowance and Self Employment - Confused!

All about money
Oh man am I confused.

I've been claiming CA now for the past year. I've earned nothing at all, CA was my sole income. I've been told that I was supposed to declare CA somewhere and now I'll owe money. I don't understand where I was supposed to declare it. Was I supposed to do a self assessment form / tax return form or something? As I said for the past year CA was my sole income.

I've also just started doing graphic design, freelancing, 4 weeks ago. I'm only earning an average of £60 a week which is under the threshold for CA but how do I declare what I'm earning? Do I need to do a self assessment form now? Who do I tell that I've got an extra income?

Sorry if I'm blabbering. I've got myself into a right panicky pickle :blush:
Hello Sarah and welcome to the forum :)

First off - take a deep breath and then contact the Carers UK Adviceline team, they're the experts on all matters related to benefits and caring in general
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

0808 808 7777
advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.
sometimes it's difficult to get through on the phone as the lines are often over subscribed, but if you email them they will get back you, generally within 3-5 working days.
Carers Allowance is a taxable benefit so will need to be declared as such on your self assessment tax form.
Ring the Carers Allowance department to declare that you are now self employed & give them the date. They will want to see the accounts on a regular basis. When i began my self employment they wanted the accounts three months after I started & then again after six months. After the first year it was just the yearly accounts they wanted. They send you a form to fill in or alternatively if you have full accounts just send them a copy.
Give the Carers UK helpline a ring to get further help. However do ring the Carers Allowance people as soon as possible,
I have had no problems with being self employed & claiming CA & have found the forms etc to be no problem.
I hope that this helps.