[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers allowance and earning over £102 (now £110) per week. - Page 9 - Carers UK Forum

Carers allowance and earning over £102 (now £110) per week.

All about money
86 posts
Jamie_1603 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:23 am
Hi I am not working an just receiving the usual carers allowance and also income support top up but my person I am a carer for likes to attend the cinema and has recently joined a gym that I am required to attend with to support him can I claim anything back for these or do I need to be working for to claim these expenses back. Any advise would would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jamie :dry:

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/e ... led-people

To be honest most places I have been to let carers in free. Even if not advertised on web sites etc. Always check with venues directly. Your would be surprise - most theatres do.


If your caree has been assessed as needing the gym, the Social Services should cover this sort of cost, by reducing the carees charges. Google "Disability Related Expenditure" for more details.
could anyone help me please??

I wonder if you CN help me with something I hadn't informed gov of my job change in 2017 as i only thought it was only when I earnt too much I needed to inform them,

I received a letter saying I had earnt too much a few weeks ago and when I checked and asked my boss about my wages it works out I earn 2 pounds month too much from this April …

I informed them of this and knew it would now stop but today received a letter saying I owe back from 2018 over 2600 pound due to earning too much but I have p60 to show I haven't for tax Yr 2017/18 and 18/19 do I stand any chance of over turning this??

also can I use after school club costs and petrol costs for these as an expense?
Hi Katie.

Advice we give all " Newbies " when dealing with overpayments and the DWP.

CAB or Carers UK Advice Team ( Best by email ) ... links follow :


https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... line-24147

A little background for you ... the main DWP Purge ... you will find that you are not alone in breaking through that weekly
earmnings limit ... currently £ 123 per week ... which as be in force for a couple of decades at least :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... wp%20purge

Disablity related expenses ... claimed by the carer ?

CAB for confirmation on that one ... not ones normally associated with those found on the Internet for guidance to all claimants.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Carer ... ated-costs
Scally wrote:
Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:11 am
This has come up again, and here is my take on the rules on caring and working: basically the rules are there but they have some major loopholes as long as you read them carefully:

All forms of respite, including sports or dance classes, are an allowable deduction, on the grounds that they constitute a direct form of respite. You don't have to ask the DWP about issues like this, you just tell them, and if they don't have a specific advice note in their manual, they can't refuse you.

What is also very interesting - (but please don't tell the DWP this) - is that the source of funds for such respite is also not an allowable factor in the calculation. So it could be that your granny - or your partner - actually gives you the money in cash to pay for such lessons, but they still constitute an allowable deduction: because there is no legal provision for the DWP to ascertain the source of funding. If it gets paid, and if there is a receipt, just claim it. Stay one jump ahead. They play games with us all the time, and we have no option but to play those games back. They have no statutory right to question your source of funds for respite, as long as you have a receipt. Because Carers Allowance isn't means tested - after all, unearned income such as my occupational pension is disregarded. Think about it. In this family at least, we also try to claim the maximum allowances for respite costs, which is up to £51 per week, quite legally.
If you have to pay for someone to look after the person you care for or a child under 16 while you are at work you can deduct those payments from your earnings up to the value of half your earnings (after the above deductions if they apply). However, this will not apply if the person you are paying is a close relative (a spouse, partner or civil partner, parent, son, daughter, brother or sister).
It is when you start to add up all these deductions that it becomes perfectly possible to earn £10k per annum - or even slightly more - and still claim Carers Allowance quite legally, as long as you have some financial flexibility in your family context. Your spouse could be earning £50k - it makes no difference. You could have £100k income per annum from investments: still makes no difference. OK, these are extremes, but it shows what is possible.

You can probably even be running a deficit income from work (on paper) after paying for respite and pension contributions - and still claim Carers Allowance. (after all, the government itself runs up a deficit budget, but personally I have never tried this one). You can certainly for example pay up to 100% of your income into a private pension, claiming 50% of it as an allowable expense, should you have the wiggle room financially.

Not a lot of people know that. :shock: :roll: :!:
I look after my mum 24/7 i get careers for her every week 66 quid am i entilted to anything else being a career
Hi Trisha ... time to crunch some numbers ?


Anything " Interesting " revealed ???
86 posts