[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers Allowance after university - Carers UK Forum

Carers Allowance after university

All about money
Hi everyone

I wondered if anyone else had this problem? I left university after only one term as caring for my severally autistic adult son was too difficult with uni work and the work placement that went with it. I re-applied for carers on the 3.1.18 and received a letter back from them on Saturday with a form for the university to fill in. On reading it the form has absolutely no relevance to the fact I have left the course. It is all about how long the course is, how many hours I do, how many hours work placement is etc. Nowhere on the form does it ask when I left.

The university sent me a notice I had withdrawn and student finance send me a letter stating my funding had ended due to leaving the course so I phoned carers and offered thoseas evidence but they keep hacking on about this form that I cannot get filled in even if I wanted too. The uni is based in Birmingham at a college there and I went to a small campus with no admin staff in the North of England. The tutor that carers say has to fill the form in has left as they move around and the form has to be back at carers on the 24.1.18 and the uni campus is not back until the week after on 29th. Added to this the uni have stopped my access to my uni email account when I left so I've no way of contacting anyone now. I don't know what to do.
Ring the Carers Allowance Unit again, with pen and paper available. Write down the name of the person you speak to initially, when she doesn't help, immediately ask to speak to her line manager, and again, and again if necessary, each time writing down names. My best friend used to work for DWP, staff are NOT allowed to refuse to pass you on to their manager. If the person concerned is unhelpful, say that unless they do help, you will write to your MP.
If you still don't get any satisfaction, then write to your MP with all the names etc.
My friend says that they have to treat MP letters as extremely urgent!
Hope that helps.
Are you getting enough help with your son? (Mine is 38, brain damaged). When I did my degree, part time, it was the only time I ever got respite from Social Services. Are you aware of the Family Fund?
Ring the Carers Allowance Unit again, with pen and paper available. Write down the name of the person you speak to initially, when she doesn't help, immediately ask to speak to her line manager, and again, and again if necessary, each time writing down names. My best friend used to work for DWP, staff are NOT allowed to refuse to pass you on to their manager. If the person concerned is unhelpful, say that unless they do help, you will write to your MP.
If you still don't get any satisfaction, then write to your MP with all the names etc.
My friend says that they have to treat MP letters as extremely urgent!
Hope that helps.
Are you getting enough help with your son? (Mine is 38, brain damaged). When I did my degree, part time, it was the only time I ever got respite from Social Services. Are you aware of the Family Fund?

Thanks I managed to get them to agree to give me a call back but it takes up to 48 hours. They said it's a different team assessing my case but am not sure what all the fuss is about. They say they need evidence I went to university but they already had that when they stopped my carers for going in the first place and I offered them evidence I was no longer going.

My son is too old for family fund at 19 and no, I don't get any help at all. He never even went to school. I home schooled him. Am 57 soon and disabled myself so it's hard. Am on ESA but it was greatly reduced cos of my student funding so I am waiting to get that back too.
Ruth, email our Carers UK helpline, who will I'm sure be able to help with your CA problems. It would also be worth asking them to do a Benefits Check for both of you - they made me £50 a week better off, so I'm always happy to ring their praises.

What are your long term plans for your son as you get older?
I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits as they will be able to give you confidential advice based on your individual circumstances.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

Freephone: 0808 808 7777
email: advice@carersuk.org

Carers UK’s advice and information team based in London is undergoing staff changes. This means the Adviceline is closed Wednesday to Friday whilst we recruit and train new members of staff. We will be taking calls on Monday and Tuesday between 10am and 4pm. You can email or write to the Adviceline and we aim to respond to your enquiries within seven working days.
If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.
Hello Ruth, I had a similar situation with my university, because I took a gap year (I also worked part-time as a university journal editor). It was too hard for me to combine parenting, work and education (I wanted to get a chemical engineering degree at the University of Wolverhampton).
And finally, they sent me an official letter with a recommendation to apply for a Domiciliary Care Allowance. We're homeschooling our 2 daughters (though only one of them is a carer).
This is a problem of your own making, by home schooling your son, because you have missed out on parent support and networking. I learned far more from other parents that I ever did from social workers!
Now you need to think about how your son is going to manage in the future.
As a parent of a brain damaged child, I always said that pretending I would live forever was not an option for me!
How old is your son? What does he need help with?
bowlingbun wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:08 pm
This is a problem of your own making, by home schooling your son, because you have missed out on parent support and networking. I learned far more from other parents that I ever did from social workers!
Now you need to think about how your son is going to manage in the future.
As a parent of a brain damaged child, I always said that pretending I would live forever was not an option for me!
How old is your son? What does he need help with?
This is an old topic started in 2018 - the OP's last visit to the Forum was May 2019
Susie,
Other forums I belong to "lock" posts due to inactivity after 6 months. Please could this be considered by the Powers that Be?