[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
carers allowance - Carers UK Forum

carers allowance

All about money
hi all new here so I hope I may get some help

my husband has been ill for a while now, from being self employed for many years unfortunately he had to stop work and claim benefits. he gets esa and the standard rate of pip and the enhanced rate of mobility
I am on his claim and I do not work, I receive no other income
I have cared for him since his illness began but I have never claimed carers allowance
I have recently received a letter from the jobcentre plus stating that I must attend an appointment to get me to work otherwise my husbands claim will be sanctioned if I do not attend
as I am sure you can appreciate, I could not take employment as I provide full time care for my hubby.
I have never claimed carers allowance as I was told I would be paid 64 quid but my husbands claim would go down by that amount, so whats the point.
now, I am thinking I should make a claim for CA just to stop the jobcentre plus harassing me and threatening to sanction my husbands claim
any advice please?
My Carers Allowance stopped when I took my state pension, (this is normal), I can't remember how much it was, but I do know that my wife's Attendance Allowance was not reduced by me having it.

You should be able to find out what effects it will have on any other benefits here:-

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance
?????
sorry Alexandra, I think you've answered someone elses question
I have never claimed carers allowance as I was told I would be paid 64 quid but my husbands claim would go down by that amount, so whats the point.
now, I am thinking I should make a claim for CA
I thought my reply was relevant to the above. If not, what was the question?

It's Alexander, not Alexandra, I've not found my feminine side yet. ;)
Hi Julie 17061 (what do those numbers mean? That's often intrigued me.)

If you wish to get the job centre off your back then yes it will be worth claiming CA. You won't be any better off, but neither will you be worse off, assuming your hubby's ESA is reduced by the same amount as CA (currently £64.60 per week.)

My understanding is that his standard ESA will not be reduced. However, if he also receives the Severe Disability Premium (worth about the same as CA) then that will cease. That's because the SDP is paid precisely to help pay for a carer if needed, or whatever your hubby reckons he needs to spend money on to cope with his disabilities.
But don't take my word for that and double-check on that. The DWP keep changing the rules left, right and centre, all the time.

Either way, you won't be worse off, and may be better off.

Once you receive CA the Job Centre will call you in for a work focused interview a few weeks later. You must attend but it's pretty informal. You'll then be called in once every three years thereafter.
You are NOT obligated to look for work as a recognized carer. I've had three such interviews in 5 years. I can only speak of my own experience. The interviewers were very sympathetic, and in two of them we spent nearly all the interview discussing dementia as both suspected their mums' might have it. If you wish to do things like on-line courses in your own time they should point you in the right direction.
If you apply, and receive, CA post again and I'll reply in more detail about the interview with tips.

Good luck with it all. It's bad enough being disabled and/or ill, or being a carer, without the needless threats of sanctions hanging over your heads.

Hey, can I get some advice too?
My partner has been on ESA support group for years, I recently managed to convince him to apply for PIP for which he was awarded standard rate care, then DWP wrote and gave him the severe disability premium on top (wooohoooo) Then I lost my job. So I've been his carer around my work hours since we got together but because I worked wasn't entitled to Carers allowance, when I lost my job I applied for universal credit and told them I was his carer and so they stopped his SDP and gave me carers allowance. So now I have returned to work and want to stop my UC claim. When I stop the claim are they going to give him back his SDP? Or get all grumpy at me for working 38 hours a week and still finding the time to care for him.

TIA! X
Julie, definitely claim Carers Allowance as soon as possible. You have missed out on a lot of money in total.

Libby, I'm not sure your husband will get his SDA back. Email our Carers UK helpline (don't ring) and they will get back to you with best advice.