Carers allowance

For information and discussion about benefits
Can you claim carers allowance whilest being on maternity leave? My maternity pay is paid by my employer NOT by the government

The earnings related limit of £ 120 per week applies here.

The Government web site sets out the criteria :

Does NOT matter who pays for the maternity leave , it's the amount that counts !
No what i mean is, i know you cant get carers allowance if you recieve maternity allowance,but can you get it if you recieve statutory maternity pay? Aslong as its under £502 a month? ... -and-leave
What is Statutory Maternity Pay?

Statutory Maternity Pay is the legal minimum your employer normally has to pay you while you’re on maternity leave.

You’ll get Statutory Maternity Pay if you:

Earn at least £113 a week on average.
Have worked for your employer for 26 weeks when you reach the 15th week before your due date.

If you’re self-employed or earn less than £113 a week, you might be entitled to Maternity Allowance instead.

How much Statutory Maternity Pay will you get?

The amount of maternity pay you get changes during your maternity leave.

After 39 weeks, your employer doesn’t have to pay you anything.

This table shows how much you’ll get at each stage of maternity leave in the 2017-18 tax year:

Statutory Maternity Leave Statutory Maternity Pay

First six weeks * 90% of your average weekly earnings before tax
The next 33 weeks * £140.98 per week or 90% of your average weekly earnings (whichever is less)
The next 13 weeks * Unpaid

This is the minimum amount your employer has to pay you.

You might get more, depending on what’s written into your contract.

Some employers offer more generous maternity benefits than Statutory Maternity Pay.

Just be aware, if you decide not to return to work after 52 weeks, you might have to pay back any extra.

However, you’ll get to keep the rest. So even if you’re not sure about returning, it’s still worth claiming.

You can find answers to more maternity pay questions on the

If you want to find out how much maternity leave you’re entitled to, you could take a look at your contract or talk to your boss or human resources department.

If the above does not answer the question , one for the Carers UK Advice Team.
Im asking a simple question. Can i claim carers allowance whilest recieving statutory maternity pay??
Nothing is ever simple with benefits and allowances ... the words IF and BUT reign supreme ... whether under UC or on the Old Money system.

The earnings limit of £120 applies here.

Definite answer ?

Carers UK Advice Team.