[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers Allowance backdating - Carers UK Forum

Carers Allowance backdating

All about money
Dear all,

My grandmother has been receiving attendance allowance for many years. I moved in to her house to care for her last June. During that time I've been eligible for Carers Allowance, but only realised now.

Will I be able to receive a backdated payment? I live in Scotland, if that makes a difference.
Unlikely I'm afraid. However, I strongly recommend that you contact our Carers UK helpline and get them to go through the financial situation for both of you, as there may be other benefits that you might also be entitled to. Emailing the helpline is easiest.
Hi Harry, welcome to the community. Things will not be as you wanted them so, i suggest the cares helpline will be the best to guide you in this regard.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/social-car ... wance.aspx

Carers allowance can only usually be back dated up to three months.
Please ignore this post of mine ... made in error.
Email the CUK benefits advice line and they will help you claim everything you are entitled to.
Chris From The Gulag wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:29 pm
Please ignore !
https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/a ... ?dtrk=true

Backdating and advance claims
CA can usually only be backdated for 3 months, so it is important to
claim as soon as you think you might be entitled.
If the person you look after has recently been awarded a qualifying
benefit (see section 3.1) you can get CA backdated to the date of the
award of the qualifying benefit, even if this was over three months ago.
You must claim CA within 3 months of the award of the qualifying benefit
being notified to the disabled person, otherwise you could lose out.
Claiming CA may entitle you to other benefits for the first time, for
example Pension Credit or Housing Benefit, so it is a good idea to claim
these while waiting for your CA decision to ensure you do not lose out.
Ask that a decision is not made until you have the CA decision. If you are
not sure of your position, get help from a local advice agency, as they
may be able to check your entitlement and help you with any claims.
If you know you are going to become entitled to CA in the future, you can
claim up to 3 months in advance. This gives the DWP time to deal with
your claim and pay you as soon as you qualify.