[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Benefit cuts leaked? - Carers UK Forum

Benefit cuts leaked?

All about money
AS I PREDICTED SOME MONTHS AGO .... the Conservatives will look at ending CARERS ALLOWANCE unless the carer is also in receipt of universal credit ... CARERS like myself who gave up work to care could do so because I had a private occupational pension + CARERS ALLOWANCE due to my own private occupational pension I can not claim any other benefits such as UNIVERSAL CREDIT , therefore under the Conservative's new scheme I would lose the carers allowance of £61 per week , this will result in many carers being unable to provide care for an elderly/young disabled family member they may stay in work and care or they may remain in work full time and let the local authority provide care at a much higher cost the savings made under this plan would save the welfare budget 1 billion £`s ....

I also predicted that many disability benefits would be taxed such as attendance allowance .

the carers allowance may be paid to "family " members only .

prescriptions may be free for those who are in fact in retirement and not for all over 60 .

in the BBC report some people on various benefits could lose £80 per week ...as I retire in 2016 I could say " I`m alright jack " but I wont carers need to fight the removal of carers allowance from 40% of carers it is a disgrace ...
4.1 Raise the level of Carers Allowance to £90 a week
The rationale for raising the UK’s low level of Carers Allowance rests on the fact
that this allowance, in reality, recompenses a very high level of work. The
Economic Dependency paper (4.2.1: Fair Level of Support for those that truly
cannot work) describes the importance of active benefits and an
underlying expectation in the system that there should be
‘something for something’. This benefit already meets such a criterion.
In addition, the carer is potentially saving the state the
large amount of money which outsourced care would cost and
that should be taken into account.58 The UK lags behind other
nations in supporting informal care. For example Ireland last
year greatly increased its Carer’s Allowance to £135 for one person
being cared for and £200 for 2 people.
According to the Government tax credits site59 if a single
woman with no dependants aged 46, caring for her mother,
received Carers Allowance at £2,529.80 per year and the figure was classed
as a wage, she could claim an extra £2131.20 in Working Tax Credit per year.
Adding these two figures together amounts to just under £90 per week. We
are not recommending that Carers Allowance be officially classed as income
and the additional amount applied for as the model above suggests. If that
were the mechanism, any gains would be offset in low-income households
by reductions in other tax credits because of the way in which elements in
the benefits system interact. In a similar vein, for the doubling of the
allowance to have an effect, an exemption would need to be made on the
extra sum of money so it did not affect income/allowances on other claimed
benefits such as Carers Premium. Finally, we are also recommending that
allowable earnings be raised to £100 after which a taper is applied, rather
than immediate loss of all allowance.THIS IS IAIN DUNCAN SMITHS OWN REPORT BROKEN BRITAIN 2007 HE CALLS FOR CARERS ALLOWANCE TO BE DOUBLED CARERS PAID MORE IF THEY
CARE FOR 2 DISABLED PEOPLE .. READ HIS COMMENTS OF THE COSTS IF THE CARE WE PROVIDE IS OUTSOURCED ....
If true should make things even harder...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32084722
what a bunch of toss pots the tories are ,there i have said it ,feel free to remove this post.
I think that's a fair assessment david c.
I've just heard that on the news that the Conservatives have a plan on the back burner to do away with Carers Allowance unless it is with ESA or something like that, didn't get the whole gist of it but enough to realise I wouldn't qualify working part time and the time scale was by 2017 so that will fly by.
I was hovering undecided and leaning towards Conservatives before I heard that but that has made me have a re think. I can't imagine trying to work full time again and juggle all the other stuff. Total breakdown I should imagine.
Just emailed my MP and that's a first :!:
Just emailed my MP!
I retire in 2016 so will be out of it ... universal credits must be in place carers outside universal credits will be entitled to nothing .. it will hit carers like myself who gave up work and had a small , tiny , insignificant private occupational pension which I paid for this prevents people like myself from claiming any other benefits at all last year I was informed as a carer with private pension I would be placed outside universal credits ...carers uk could have raised this issue years ago we all knew it was coming .. I have asked carers uk for years to raise IAIN DUNCAN SMITHS report in public but silence is golden carers are walking headlong into oblivion ..
I was undecided, not any more :angry: