Carers allowance 2013 rates

All about money
http://www.update.org.uk/news-detail.php?page=542
Rates will rise from £58.45 in 2012 to £59.75 in April 2013.
Thats £1.30p, which is a rise of about 2% I suppose.

In the context of a loaf of wholemeal bread now retailing at £1.50, and potatoes at anything up to £2 a kilo, it still doesnt look very generous, does it, considering what would happen if we all downed tools?

And contrary to the fine words about encouraging enterprise and hard work, the earnings threshold hasnt shifted either, still stuck at a ridiculously low £100 after deductions, over which you will lose every single penny of Carers Allowance (unless you save something into a pension plan)
Big deal..!! Whenever the carers allowance goes up all they do is to deduct this from the income support so in fact we dont get ANY more money whatsoever!! Until Carers Allowance goes above £100 it makes no difference how much the chancellor increases it!

How in the name of sanity does this man think carers manage to live? My wife is cared for in bed 24/7 and I am her main carer, I have no quality of life at all, I cant go anywhere without having to organise someone to look after her, she has to often wake me at night to help her with her PEG feeding etc. I care for her because I love her and because I have worked many years in Caring. If I was a carer working for an agency providing 24/7 care for her I would be earning about £3000 a week!! not an offensive pitiful amount of £55 (+the IS top up taking it just under £100)

Its about time something was done for real with regard to Carers Allowance, someone needs to make these stupid politicians wake up - you would think David Cameron of all people would be sensitive to Carers issues having had a disabled son to care for but NO!
I agree with the above post but can I just point out something Chris?

Paid careworkers get crap wages (and I do know it's much more than we get), they certainly don't get thousands of pounds per week, a lot barely get above the minimum wage.
It's the agencies themselves that are raking in the money, they charge a fortune and pay their workers peanuts-another reason why too many careworkers are substandard.
I just hope it doesn't change me, and I can keep my feet on the ground. I don't want to lose the common touch
I just hope it doesn't change me, and I can keep my feet on the ground. I don't want to lose the common touch
hahahaha! Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Nice one, Jimbo. Image
I know that I am relatively new to all this, but could not believe that as a carer you get £58 per week plus IS, oh and of course council tax credit. But as has been told on here, it is a pitiful amount to pay someone to care for a loved one.
On the dole they get £71 per week for sitting on their bums????
I live opposite another carer and suggested that I go and look after his wife and he come and look after my mother and we might get paid more lol.
I think we can safely say that David Cameron wasn't hanging on receiving his CA in order to get by every week, he may be able to empathise with the emotional turmoil of having a disabled member of his family but lets keep it real, finances were not a concern.
Vicky
Wow BIG DEAL !!! Great. But my carers allowance still gets taxed. !! Its utter madness. I have felt many times over the last few days.regards amandah
I live opposite another carer and suggested that I go and look after his wife and he come and look after my mother and we might get paid more lol.
I think this might be the answer actually. Many of us receive "direct payments" and yet we find it hard to recruit caring staff and cant pay ourselves for caring. So why not find some ingenious way of setting up local reciprocal schemes, whereby we switch around a bit?