Carer's Allowance & New Job

All about money
Chris From The Gulag wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:57 pm
Getting a needs assessment

If you think you, or someone you know, needs help to cope day-to-day, the first step is to get a needs assessment from your local council.

Thanks for the info. We have had something similar I think as we had a wet room fitted to our council flat.

Would having a needs assessment actually help in regards to money support? If I were to take on this new job, I think I will be working from home, hence I would still be looking after my gran so would I not be entitled to any help?

Thanks!
Needs assessment ?

There is always the financial element ... a means test ... is the caree able to afford whatever support is offered ?

Quite often , insufficent care is offered ... perhaps a few hours per week ... without a price tag ... which , in reality , means that the caree has to buy in additional support ... normally starting from £ 15 per hour.

Therein lies the conundrum for the carer ... especially a lone carer ... how to earn enough to provide that additional support ?

If not , who else will be available to provide that additional support ?

Need a clue ?

Oh yes , present Government policy is to encourage carers to juggle work with caring.

Fine ... if one earns £ 40k+ per annum ... or with a working partner ... for others , pie in the sky !

Even then , for those claiming Carers Allowance , they are restricted to £ 120 per week ( £ 123 from April ) and still being able to claim CA.

£ 9 / 9.5k per annum ... still leaves them BELOW the official poverty line.

Even increasing CA THREEFOLD will not change that situation !!!

Double that earnings limit ... add a taper ... still will not reduce the numbers near to that official poverty line.

Then , just how much does one need to provide that additional support ???

Government policy ... at it's finest ?

Our ranks continue to grow ... 6,000 per DAY at the last count ... anyone wonder why ???