carer's allowance - compliance interview...

All about money
AZ_1902 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:38 pm
If it was meant to be fraudulent or planned, why would I let my accouhtant make this mistake?
It’s purely a negligence in my and my husband but at the same time If it was flagged earlier by the system, it could have saved us from being in this position...
I spent 50 years self-employed until I retired, my first accountant way back in the 70s used to pull all sorts of stunts with my tax return - which had to be signed by me, so he was untouchable.

One simple thing for illustration, on my tax return I paid my wife a certain amount each month for secretarial duties - I didn't, but the tax return said I did and I didn't pay tax on that money. Sound familiar at all?
AZ_1902 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:38 pm
If it was meant to be fraudulent or planned, why would I let my accountant make this mistake?
It’s purely a negligence in my and my husband but at the same time If it was flagged earlier by the system, it could have saved us from being in this position...
It is only recently that the 2 systems have been able to talk to each other. The onus has always been on the recipient of any benefit to declare fully and truthfully and to report any changes as and when they happen. It does seem you have been negligent and probably will have to repay, and maybe have a penalty too.
Business wise, if you haven't been receiving the cash you need to find who has, as it has been leaving the business. I hope you are not being defrauded.

Going forward maybe your business earnings could be kept below the carers allowance limits but with a business big enough to be vat registered and to employ an accountant you might find there is enough coming in from the business to pay you better and not need to claim benefits anyway
One one fly in the oinment.

CA not means tested ... same case for AA.

CA / AA sole benefit ... other qualifying cretia met ... it will be paid.

CA ... income can be marshalled to stay within that £ 120 but ... not hidden !

TaxMan / DoleMan ... possible to satisfy one and fall foul of the other ?

My best guess ... yes !

( DPs + AA / DLA / PIP / SDA threads cover that possibility. )