Carer's Allowance and the Retirement Pension

All about money
Carer’s Allowance is an “income replacement” benefit for people who are unable to work because they are caring full-time for a disabled person. Since October 2002, Carer’s Allowance has been payable to people aged 65 or over. However, it cannot be paid in addition to the Retirement Pension, so for many carers over pension age the fact that they qualify for Carer’s Allowance does not result in an increase in the total benefit they receive (unless they are on a low income).
read in full

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-paper ... nt-pension

There is a link to the PDF report too
Can I point out here Carers Allowance is payable in addition to an occupational pension but not if a state pension is being paid,
I got carers allowance for my late father even though I was getting paid a good occupational pension.
I did however have to pay tax on it.

Brian
Can I point out here Carers Allowance is payable in addition to an occupational pension but not if a state pension is being paid,
I got carers allowance for my late father even though I was getting paid a good occupational pension.
I did however have to pay tax on it.

Brian
Yes you are correct Brian,I pay an additional £60 tax now .I think its a disgrace that carers allowance is a taxable benefit,It is classed as an additional income.Never mind the fact that i took a huge drop in my income to become a full time carer.saving the government a lot of money by caring for our relatives at home and paying tax for the priveledge.End of rant.
Sylvia,
Hi Sylvia

My gripe with carers allowance is it stops after a person has been in hospital for 28 days.
Fortunately I have the income to cater for it. When my father was in hospital for over 100 days I had to visit him and the washing machine was on continuously so I had to pay a lot for transport expenses, electric and parking.
I agree the circumstances were unfortunate in the fact they had to put him in a hospital 13 miles from home. Public transport was not viable partly because of where we live and also Dad created a lot of washing which was heavy.
In my case the expense went up for the time Dad was in hospital and the income went down.
I was also called to the hospital 7 times because Dad was kicking off and the nurses only sedate as a last resort. On 1 occasion I could have needed a taxi as it happened when I was out for a drink with friends. Fortunately I had only got half was through my first pint and the pub was only half a mile from home.
I was told there was provision to claim visiting expenses but my pension was too high to allow me to do this.
I think this could have been a worry for somebody on the borderline with money.
To top the lot when I saw the social worker she did say that I must not spend any of Dad's income on transport etc as it may be required for care fees.
I did go for advice from Age UK and they said I was entitled to take money for transport etc from Dad's income and in the end he had full NHS funding.

Brian