Careers Allowance Ive been overpaid

All about money
Hello everyone I'm writing this on behalf of my partner we claim careers allowance for my daughter

Cut a long story short my partner has been over paid CA and found that her pay is over the thresh hold. The error has occured with her getting a standard pay rise by 10p in July 2013. Unknown to us this took us over the £100 a week allowance by £1.18 yes £1.18 we are so upset and sick as we been told we have to pay back £4,550. We are at our wits ends.

Were no criminals and have enough to do looking after my daughter we cant afford to pay this back what can we do please please help

why have we got to pay so much back what can I do ? do we get a black mark on our credit rating ? and conviction against her

so upset
Hi
Oh that is so distressing . I wonder if you can claim anything in an appeal to offset the extra earnings. Were you making any pension contributions? Were you paying for mobile phones or tools for your occupation? Were you incurring travelling expenses as part of your job. Rack your brains and see if you can think of any allowable expenses . Did you have to buy any special work related uniform or such?
If they think it is unreasonable you forgot to mention a 1op pay increase , it must be equally unreasonable that you forgot the expenses
G_1511 wrote:Hello everyone I'm writing this on behalf of my partner we claim careers allowance for my daughter

Cut a long story short my partner has been over paid CA and found that her pay is over the thresh hold. The error has occured with her getting a standard pay rise by 10p in July 2013. Unknown to us this took us over the £100 a week allowance by £1.18 yes £1.18 we are so upset and sick as we been told we have to pay back £4,550. We are at our wits ends.

Were no criminals and have enough to do looking after my daughter we cant afford to pay this back what can we do please please help

why have we got to pay so much back what can I do ? do we get a black mark on our credit rating ? and conviction against her

so upset
I'm not surprised you're upset, I think anyone would be. It is probably a really good idea to get some expert advice on this, there is the Carer's UK helpline number on the Help and Advice tab up at the top of this page but as there is often an answerphone (it's get's very busy), it might be better to email them here advice@carersuk.org, perhaps copy your post and just add contact details and somebody will get back to you.

Try and hang in there, good luck.
Yes, you need to get expert advice and help: you must have some work-related or caring expenses over that period that can be discounted, anything from nappies to swimming pool fees - please get expert advice.
I hate these bar-stewards at the DWP, they are regular jobsworths. Play it by the book and you will win.
thank you for the kind replies we have been back in touch with the decision officer as she has reviewed the paperwork again Helens earnings were in different last year and before and the office should have picked this up. So the revised figure is £2500. Still a lot as she is something like £1.08 over each month for 9 months adding up to £2500 ish. We are still unhappy but what can we do, were over its in black and white. Is it worth appealing were so upset and stressed we want to just go with the £2500 and pay back as little as we can each week over many years

any advice would be gratefully appreciated. We done our sums and worked it out at just over £2300 . Its 9 months and 2 weeks at £1.08 each week over meaning we have to pay back 38 weeks of £62 a week because of the £1.08 over a £100 per week. Its scandalous what we have to pay for such a small amount each week as helen had a pay rise by 10p. They have taken into consideration the pension 50% no expenses or carer allowance we pay out

Shall we just agree and no appeal and arrange the over payment payment with the credit people? for as little as possible for as long as possible ?

Thanks a lot
What kind of job is it? This will help us to think about any allowable expenses.
shop assistant with a supermarket she been there 18 years works 16 hours a week
Eeek not to many expenses that I can think of there. I guess you will need to follow Scally's advice and think more creatively. Did you incur any expenses with regard to your caree? Meals out, clubs attended, respite care paid for, equipment you purchased . I would ring the carers uk advice line and get some expert help. You are not looking for a huge amount of expenses to cover the overpay. I am sure there must be something. Half an hours work on the phone and another hour or so hunting through bank statements and looking for receipts could be time very well spent indeed. Don't give up!
Drop the helpline an email as they are very hard to get hold of by phone but will respond to you by email. Here is the link.
https://www.carersuk.org/about-us/contact-us
Yes I would fight it for caring expenses: every bus fare that you had to take to visit the chemists, every postage stamp, every damned cent. I find it hard to believe that they can be so cruel and heartless over a few pennies, but this system is a machine and you have to feed the machine.
A shop assistant must have some work-related expenses, almost everybody does, but I cannot think of any immediately, laundry costs? Union subs?
I am convinced there is a way out of this jam... the amount is absolutely piddling, and the penalty draconian.
But I do wish Carers UK did more to publicise this issue and show people how easy it is to avoid earning over the limit through claiming every penny they can in allowable expenses. It is so unfair that people are penalised through no fault of their own - in fact, the authorities have a statutory duty to inform carers of their rights, so I wonder if there is a case to be made for a simple legal case arguing that as you were not informed of your rights in full, they have no right to claim the money back? The easiest way to do this is to take them to the small claims court - it only costs a few pounds to file a case, and you can represent yourself: and I bet my bottom dollar they will capitulate rather than fight it in court, the amount is too small for them to be worth bothering with.