Can my son claim carers allowance for me?

All about money
Hello,

My son is 16 years old and in full time education, as all 16 year olds now have to be.
He cares for me from 3:30pm when he gets home from school and at weekends so I think he should be able to get carers.
I've just read however that if you're in full time education you can't get carers allowance.
I'm just not understanding (I have a brain injury)
How can you be able to claim from 16 but not if you're in f/t education?
All people under 18 have to now be in f/t education??? Help!

I can't get to grips with the sense in this? Am I wrong? Would he be able to claim or not?

Thanks,

Lou x x
Hello Lou

As I understand it the Carers Allowance unit considers that a young carer (i.e. under 18) in full time education does not have sufficient time to devote to caring and studying but I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team, they will be able to explain the rules much better than I can !
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

0808 808 7777
advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.
If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.

In the meantime reading our factsheet on Carers Allowance might help

http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... -allowance