[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Can my mum pay me for care? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Can my mum pay me for care?

All about money
Hello Jean

Our helpline should be able to help with your question, you can contact them here:

0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or by email advice@carersuk.org

Best wishes

Jane
Hi Jean,

Not sure if I’m too late with this reply, but hopefully others will see this information also.

I brought mum home to live with me, she does have very complex needs and when she was living in her own home carers would go in, however, they could not meet her needs due to her dementia and she was reluctant to let them touch her. Now because of this the local authorities were in the process of arranging a direct payment for mum to be able to pay her own carers privately, or family members in this case, this has to be passed by a panel. It was granted.

Now mum has come to live with us, the same thing is happening again, panel passed it and myself is getting paid by the local authorities to take care of mum 24/7 obviously they don’t pay for that but do pay for 8 hours care, mum has to make a contribution which is accessed by the finance team. The company that deal with all tax, pension, holiday pay and such like is called Penderels and they are nationwide. Also local authorities cover there fee for managing the account.

So basically after a social care assessment has been completed, a figure gets put on the carers required and those moneys get paid to your mum for her to be able to employ her own carers, you included, carers allowance stops and you get a wage. This is how it works, but clearly the local authorities do not push the direct payments forward that easily, however, due to the lack of carers in the community I guess this is something that will be getting pushed forward to more often so family members can provided the care, about time too I say.

Good luck