[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Feedback - Carers UK Forum

Feedback

All about money
Hi All.
I read with interest all your posts, even some of the old ones, what I don't see is tales of happy endings or woe for that matter. Am I looking in the wrong place?? This could be of help to others who face similar problems especially when it comes to form completion.
Madfloyd
There are many "tales of happy endings" through the forum, we always encourage everyone to share their joys, as well as sorrows. However because of the nature of the forum, always moving forward, each happy ending may be the result of a few months of comments. So here are some of my own happy endings through the years.
1. With the help of the CUK helpline, I was able to successfully claim CA and DLA for the weekends my son came home from boarding school. This made me at least £50 per week better off.
2. At 16, my son was awarded full adult income support, even though he was in boarding school.
3. My son had a lifetime award of DLA care and mobility at 16, due to severe learning difficulty, not physical disability.
4. I successfully claimed DLA Mobility after a bit of a battle with DWP, mainly because of a useless ATOS report.
5. My son doesn't pay any Council Tax on his flat whatsoever - he has "severe mental impairment" due to brain damage and is therefore completely exempt.
I hope my own success will encourage others to claim the benefits which they are entitled to. We hear a lot in the press about "benefit scroungers" but very little about people who are entitled to benefits but do not claim, because they don't know they are entitled to.
This site has helped me realise that you can juggle work with caring and taught me the loopholes in the system.
I think more importantly it has taught me that caring is not a personal burden dumped upon me alone but that there are many of us out there in the same boat.
It has also changed my self perception that I am not doing anything anymore, and that I am "just caring" . It definitely helps to keep your sanity when you're in a world surrounded by none carers and helicopters.
I too feel supported by other members, caring can be lonely and this site gives me a sense of purpose away from caring for my other half, a place where good or bad you know people understand your frustrations and joys of such small victories, things like the joy of having the old hubby back for afew days when we went away for a weekend, and how happy my MIL is in a home that has brought her back into the real world by their caring attitude to what was a very lonely old lady!
there are the trial and tribulations of the constant fight with officialdom of DWP or HP.
So Carers UK is a lifeline for so many of us.
Floyd_1504 wrote:Hi All.
I read with interest all your posts, even some of the old ones, what I don't see is tales of happy endings or woe for that matter. Am I looking in the wrong place?? This could be of help to others who face similar problems especially when it comes to form completion.
Madfloyd

As Bowlingbun has said many topics on here do have happy endings - trouble is they're spread over the various parts of the forum and not in one place ! Usually members will report back (albeit some time later) to let us know whether the advice they received was useful or not.

To see if a subject has been covered before the 'search' facility in the purple banner at the top of the index page is a useful starting point :)
hi all,
Thanks for your replies, I think my question was more about HOPE. As a person that has suffered with severe depression (PTSD) that has been fortunate to turn life around and now be able to give back. I want to help, Benefits and welfare is my area but also mental health. Caring for someone, whatever their disability is, is hard, we all know that. Feel free to use and abuse my Knowledge and geekiness when it comes to these matters and please feel free to put me right whenever you think i'm wrong. Since 31.3.15 the law on benefits has changed and I try to keep up. if you know things I don't let me know. Let's help eachother.
Madfloyd
A couple of years back my husband (with a traumatic brain injury) was moved from Incapacity Benefit to ESA, but put in the work group even though it was obvious to anyone who knew him that he could not work. At the time I was so worn out that I did not think that I had the energy to fight this, but spurred on by the support and advice on here I put in an appeal and won. He is now in the support group.
Also, I learned on here that it is possible to take early retirement, be paid an occupational pension and still get Carers Allowance - so I have done exactly that! Once my present crisis is over I might even take on a bit of work - and I shall know how to maximise allowances too :lol:
PIP is a cloud on the horizon, though :(
Hi All
Had a bit more of a surf around and found some truly moving stories and read the great advice given. Proud to be in such Great company.
Madfloyd :D
crocus wrote:A couple of years back my husband (with a traumatic brain injury) was moved from Incapacity Benefit to ESA, but put in the work group even though it was obvious to anyone who knew him that he could not work. At the time I was so worn out that I did not think that I had the energy to fight this, but spurred on by the support and advice on here I put in an appeal and won. He is now in the support group.
Also, I learned on here that it is possible to take early retirement, be paid an occupational pension and still get Carers Allowance - so I have done exactly that! Once my present crisis is over I might even take on a bit of work - and I shall know how to maximise allowances too :lol:
PIP is a cloud on the horizon, though :(
Well there's plenty of expertise on the forum when the time comes for you to do your husband's PIP claim.

Please make full use of it.
Caring has several possible outcomes, and many of them are happy if you are, for example, willing to embrace the fact that caring will end one day and that your caree may move on to supported living, or to a caring nursing home, or even to a happy, natural and peaceful death.