[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Boarder Payment. - Carers UK Forum

Boarder Payment.

All about money
Advice wanted!
Two of my sons are autistic.They were removed by my local council in 2005 because I "might at some time show a lack of deference to social workers" but are still allowed home unsupervised every day (one or the other of them) including two overnights a week.I take on extra caring duties at times of staff-shortages such as holidays.
They were in a Care Home until November,but the building has now been designated as their council tenancy.
Up to November,they were eligible for CA but didn't receive it because they were in a Home.However,one of them who's home 2 nights a week was eligible for Boarder Payments.i.e.DLA for days out of care.This meant that I could claim CA.(I care for him about 70 hours a week).However,for years the council wouldn't sign anything for the DWP to show that he was coming home each week,which meant I couldn't get CA and there was no Boarders' Payments.The council's attitude was that they are my sons,and I should continue to meet their needs,barring food.They are 20 and 25.
Since November,they have been receiving DLA which is used to meet some of the costs to the council of their care.Boarder Payments,which had started to come through following the intervention of the Ombudsman,have stopped.
For the 20 year old,I receive 6 slices of bread a week and three slices of ham,plus three oranges.For the 20=year old,we have £10 per week for food.We pay Bedroom tax for his room and for heating,his laptop,etc.

Comments/advise welcome.Even criticism,at a pinch!
Hi and welcome. Sounds like a fine old mess!
Have you tried negotiating from a position of strength, for example by refusing to provide support for your adult sons unless the council provides you with something in return? After all, you are presumably saving them a small fortune in wages etc.
Hi John

contact the Carers UK Adviceline, their contact details are on the main website or click on this link

http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/talk-to-us

The Adviceline staff are very knowledgeable on all aspects of benefits. If you can't get through on the phone (they're usually very busy) do email them and they will get back to you as soon as possible.
Scally wrote:Hi and welcome. Sounds like a fine old mess!
Have you tried negotiating from a position of strength, for example by refusing to provide support for your adult sons unless the council provides you with something in return? After all, you are presumably saving them a small fortune in wages etc.
Thanks for offering suggestions.
I can't imagine having a position of strength.After two years without benefits,with the social-worker in the room,I phoned the DWP and on the speaker phone heard the DWPer tell him that he had to sign the "time spent out of Care' form before we could receive benefits.Afterwards,he still refused to sign,
So I went to the Ombudsman.The social worker phoned to say then that he regretted that I'd had to contact her.He then told me that all full-family meetings at home were being ended because he'd remembered that I'd told him a year before that the 25-year-old had once head-butted the 20-year-old...
Two months later,he invited me to either agree to sign the tenancy-agreement for my sons,or risk having them move away.I had no choice.
We face another review in a week or two to decide if it is in their best interests to continue to see their family.
Able-bodied,they are lodged in a wheelchair-adapted double-bungalow.The eldest is double-funded,with day-care 4 days a week as well as what was the care home.Oddly,his disability is relatively mild-he be surfing the net now,where I not on here.I used to co-chair two parents; support groups-one for parents of children,one for those with adult offspring.No-one gets the sort of funding my family gets; and frankly doesn't need.My son won't return to the ;home;/unit he left this morning until 7 Sat. evening.He's either with me or at day-care.then he's home again Sunday morning and Tuesday night.He's usually a doddle and fun to look after with few of the awful difficulties I know other parents have.
Costs aren't a factor.More two were the last of a hoard of children Care-ordered in 2005-6; so many that 7 weeks after the hearing Ofsted finally declared Children's Services her unfit for purpose for "using Care Orders and child-removal as a first rather than a last resort".There's been no attempt to identify the children wrongly,but always legally removed,
susieq,
Will do.Do you know if there's a best time to call? I've had a few tries...

p.s.I keep hearing the old Chess song Susie Q...
The helpline helped me claim Boarder payments for DLA and CA, when DWP said I wssn't entitled. CUK gave me eveything I needed to challenge DWP. I don't understand why anyone other than you had to sign to say rhe boys had been home with you? Who is DWP appointee for them? Discuss this eith the helpline too. Something seems to have gone badly wrong. Good luck with it all.
bowlingbun wrote:The helpline helped me claim Boarder payments for DLA and CA, when DWP said I wssn't entitled. CUK gave me eveything I needed to challenge DWP. I don't understand why anyone other than you had to sign to say rhe boys had been home with you? Who is DWP appointee for them? Discuss this eith the helpline too. Something seems to have gone badly wrong. Good luck with it all.
My late wife left me in 2003,taking two of our sons who are both profoundly autistic.
I was concerned about her ability to care for them because she had lung cancer and was in a wheelchair,having lost her legs through diabetes.O.began running home to me when they were out,though he's not meant to be out on his own.I phoned social services for help,but was refused because the courts had granted my wife residence,with the backing of the Children's department.I put the phone down on the Assistant Director of Children's Services.This led to a Care Order that I "represented a rist of significant harm" because I "might show a lack of deference to social services at some time in the future".
I was not alone in this: Children's Services removed so many children "as a first,rather than a last resort" that Ofsted shortly afterwards put them into Special Measures,though many of the children are still being held,and there has been no investigation about what happened.
When they reached adulthood,the Care Orders were replaced by Court of Protection Orders.
At a time when my wife was awaiting psychiatric help,which she did not live to receive,she agreed to the lifetime institutionalisation of our sons due to their autism.That remains the council's plan.
Despite the "risk of significant harm",all contact,including two overnights a week is unsupervised.
My wife also falsely claimed that I was threatening to harm her,which I suspect explains some of this.
Really difficult. Good job I don't live where you do, I will always do what I feel is right, not what SSD want! In a similar situation to yours, my son got boarder payments. I was his appointee. I don't know anything about thr Court of Protection. Usually it is up to the appointee to claim benefits. The helpline should be able to help.
I wish that Boarder Payments were better known.I admit I spent a day or two googling 'border payments'...
When children are held under a Care Order,one can apply for a discretionary payment to help with costs to go visiting him or her,or for having the child at home for contacts.Unfortunately,most councillors believe that Care Orders always mean that the mum or dad aren't allowed to have their kids back home at any time while the order lasts.My local social services department thought that it meant that I'd lost Parental Responsibility...
For adults,there's Boarder Payments...Having said that,I wonder if BP are payable for children if they are eligible for DLA? I'd never thought of that.
Parents with Care Orders/Court of Protection Orders against them are often treated as pariahs.It seems as though Carers UK is one of the few organisations prepared to help them.
As I understand it, once someone has been granted DLA, they always have "underlying entitlement" so although it can't be paid when someone is in care paid for by the LA, they are entitled to it as soon as they leave that care. Incidentally, my son gets highest care and mobility, as he needs someone with him when outside the home, although he is fit as a flea. This was the case when he was at school. If DWP have given incorrect advice, then under some circumstances, you can claim back payments! Ask the helpline for more info about this too, as my experiences might be out of date now, I can only say how it was for me.