[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bedroom tax will it hit you/carers ??? - Page 4 - Carers UK Forum

bedroom tax will it hit you/carers ???

All about money
310 posts
Council computers are rubbish! A few years back I got behind with council tax and was ordered to pay it off at £40 a month so I paid £10 a week by direct debit so some months they got £50 a month, bailiffs turned up at my door as according to their computers I hadnt been paying the £40 a month, I pointed out I was paying £10 a week and showed them my bank statements but the stupid council computer couldnt recognise my weekly payments as they had me programmed for £40 a month
I received a notification from the Council a few weeks ago, informing me and my mother, for whom I'm a carer, that we are under-occupying. We live in a council 2 bedroom ground floor flat, adapted to my mother's needs!

I called the Council, who initially confirmed that we were under-occupying. However, once I pointed out that the Mr and Mrs concerned, were in fact mother and son, and asked if they expected me to share a bedroom with my mother, they admitted that their system had not been programmed to recognise such a situation, and that the matter would be resolved!

Clever Council! Clever Computer! As for the programmers, well?!!! Image

computer says NO Image
I received a notification from the Council a few weeks ago, informing me and my mother, for whom I'm a carer, that we are under-occupying. We live in a council 2 bedroom ground floor flat, adapted to my mother's needs!

I called the Council, who initially confirmed that we were under-occupying. However, once I pointed out that the Mr and Mrs concerned, were in fact mother and son, and asked if they expected me to share a bedroom with my mother, they admitted that their system had not been programmed to recognise such a situation, and that the matter would be resolved!

Clever Council! Clever Computer! As for the programmers, well?!!! Image
These days more and more adult sons are living with their mothers- the government is even trying to ensure it happens a lot by denying under 25s Housing Benefit in their own right. Does that mean they all have to share a bedroom with their mums unless they have a brother to share with?!
At the moment the under occupancy rule doesn't effect me. I still have two sons living at home one is disabled. My husband needs a ground level bedroom which the council are in the process of getting sorted. They will build it onto our house. When this happens we will have a spare room and as disabled people are not exempt even with adapted housing it makes me wonder can we afford to let them build on the extra room. This new rule is unfair.
Very scary - wait until the bedroom tax hits... Image
At the moment the under occupancy rule doesn't effect me. I still have two sons living at home one is disabled. My husband needs a ground level bedroom which the council are in the process of getting sorted. They will build it onto our house. When this happens we will have a spare room and as disabled people are not exempt even with adapted housing it makes me wonder can we afford to let them build on the extra room. This new rule is unfair.
I agree. Totally unfair. The extra bedroom itself can be an adaption to a disability such as my Autistic/Aspie twins inability to share a bedroom as a result of their Autistic Spectrum Disorder which means they need a bedroom each. In a 3 bed house we'd be left turning some other room into a bedroom (which we would then have to manage without being the room its supposed to be) or I'd have to share with my 15 year old son (which would be wrong).
Parents who look after grown-up disabled offspring face benefit cap

Ministers confirm £500-a-week cap will apply to carers after children reach adulthood, forcing some into care
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/ ... enefit-cap
Thats incorrect, Rosemary: the benefit cap will not apply if you are in receipt of disability benefits, according to a DWP-led seminar I attended yesterday in Glasgow . This looks like a cock-up by civil servants, given earlier assurances, and I have no doubt they will do a very swift U turn because it simply doesnt make sense. However it shows the complexity and inevitable confusion over the regulations.
I did laugh when I saw this: [quote]McVey replied]
Oh no it isnt, and it never has been, as I am sure she will be told in no uncertain terms and be forced to make the usual cringing apology. Otherwise I will apply for housing benefit for my son (18) on the grounds that he lives in a seperate household and pays me rent to live here, watch this space!
Carer's UK website says:
'The Government has said that single people will have their total household benefits capped at £350 a week, and couples and lone parents at £500 a week. Carers caring for a disabled child or partner who receives Disability Living Allowance (or Personal Independence Payment, which is replacing DLA) will not be affected, because the Government has said that their child or partners’ DLA will ensure that the benefit cap will not apply to them.However, carers caring for an adult disabled child or other adult relative could see their benefits capped, because the DLA of the people they care for is not considered to be in the same benefit package or ‘household’ as the carers’ – even if they are living together.'
http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... t9&start=2

On the bedroom tax on one social landlord's website I found this:
'Housing Benefit rules allow:

One bedroom for each adult or couple living as part of the household
A child under the age of 16 is expected to share with another child of the same gender, while children under 10 are expected to share with another child regardless of gender.
Severely disabled children may be entitled to their own bedroom if they cannot share with another child.
A bedroom for a carer is allowed where they provide over-night care to a person with disabilities.

Exceptions will NOT be made for the following:

Separated parents who share the care of their children.
Couples who use their “spare” bedroom when recovering from an illness or operation.
Foster children (as they are not counted as part of the household for benefit purposes).
Parents whose children visit but are not part of the household.
Families with disabled children.
Disabled people including people living in adapted or specially designed properties. '
Scally I'm with you I shall get Sarah to claim housing benefit in her own right and pay me rent for living here!
310 posts