[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bedroom tax will it hit you/carers ??? - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

bedroom tax will it hit you/carers ???

All about money
310 posts
Gary, good question, don't know the answer I'm afraid. Perhaps you could ring the CUK helpline and let us know the answer here? It will affect many others in your situation too. Just wondering if there is any "cut off" date for changing the tenancy holder. I think this needs a lot of thought as some places have rules about "inheriting" a tenancy, you don't want to create problems for the future if you have children living with you.
Anyone remember the window tax, my dad said something about it so i google and found The window tax was a property tax based on the number of windows in a house, came in 18th and 19th centuries. People bricked-up window-spaces just to get around not paying the tax, bedroom tax is the moden tax of other time, i don't think we can get away bricking up the bed rooms this time around Image
If we do, I can think of a few people to put on the "wrong" side of the wall... Image Image Image
Charles, that sounds like a Gilbert and Sullivan...HMS Pinafore perhaps....I have a little list, they never would be missed...!
Gary, good question, don't know the answer I'm afraid. Perhaps you could ring the CUK helpline and let us know the answer here? It will affect many others in your situation too. Just wondering if there is any "cut off" date for changing the tenancy holder. I think this needs a lot of thought as some places have rules about "inheriting" a tenancy, you don't want to create problems for the future if you have children living with you.
Both my wife and I are named on the tenancy as joint tenants. No kids living with us, they've fled the nest. Housing and Council Tax benefit has always been in my name. As far as I know, you can only have one person named as the claimant for these, or it used to be.
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/discretionar ... -draft.pdf

More details about discretionary payments to cover the shortfall and who may be entitled. I dont think you can have ANY savings and qualify for these payments.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-ea ... -31263139/

When i was away for a week the residents on our block, not council but housing asociation .held an informal meeting to talk of the bedroom tax. every single home , thats 24 were in receipt of H.B. most are couples who live in a 2 bed bungalow, 3 single , we are the only couple who are mother/ son . they were told that they will all have to pay the extra £14 ? per week as in the eye`s of the council they will have a spare room . we on the other hand are not a "couple" therefore dont under occupy i cant claim H.B. but the old doll does as all her war related pensions are disregarded . the 3 single people understand the new rule but some of the " couples" have said they use both rooms they dont sleep together, they have been told that they are still regarded as having a spare room and will have to pay ...one point raised was that we have 2 gay men who are not married but live together in seperate rooms and are joint tennants they were advised that they will not lose their housing benefit ( both claim) since i came back nearly every single neighbour has asked me just what is right ...sad to say i dont have a clue ............
I'll have to pay as if we downsize we will end up homeless as my twins cannot share due to them having Aspergers & ADHD and Autism & possible ADHD and the result of making them share is no one sleeps at all including the neighbours. The £14 a week is the tax on avoiding being not only homeless but counted as voluntary homeless.
It may be worth arguing this one, Aspiemum, as the expectation that the two kids share is unreasonable on the grounds of disability and that therefore it's discriminatory. May be worth seeking some legal advice on that one.
Definitely challenge the council. My neighbour has two children, one with AS, one without. The council accept that they need to sleep in separate rooms, and pay HB accordingly.
310 posts