[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bedroom tax will it hit you/carers ??? - Page 21 - Carers UK Forum

bedroom tax will it hit you/carers ???

All about money
311 posts
Because Cameron has forgotten he had a disabled son and the disabled and carers are easy prey!
Re posting this in case some members not read it

http://www.carersuk.org/media/k2/attach ... om_Tax.pdf
Interesting post by Rosemary regarding the DHP letter.

We have wondered about trying to apply for DHP but have been put off by such report as the above. However, we have now decided we are at least going to try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that. We have received a DHP application form from our local council and were appalled at the number of questions we have to complete, asking us ALL about our finances, all our incomings and ALL our outgoings. Very comprehensive and, to be honest, pretty disgusting.

It's totally ridiculous really because the council have recently installed a wet-room for my wife costing nearly £4000. If we were to move into a one-bedroom accommodation, assuming we can find one suitable enough in an area we like and assuming it doesn't already have a wet-room, the council will have to pay yet another £4000 for yet another wet-room. The bungalow has also been adapted for my own needs as a deaf person as well as my disabled wife's. All this would cost the council more money than the bedroom tax.

Yet, would they take all these things into consideration if I were to put it to them? Probably not because the government has laid out the rules which they have to follow.
But we sure as hell are gonna try!
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/housing-bene ... tsheet.pdf
Rooms for carers
Bedrooms for live-in carers are not affected. A bedroom is also allowed for an overnight carer.
Just what constitutes a live-in Carer? Could it be conceived as an unpaid family Carer?
I suspect they mean staff but who knows. They should have said paid Carers if that is the case - shouldn't they. Image
Marie x
It doesn't matter what they think they were saying, it's what they actually say that counts in law!
Do you think there's a way out then?
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/housing-bene ... tsheet.pdf
Rooms for carers
Bedrooms for live-in carers are not affected. A bedroom is also allowed for an overnight carer.
Just what constitutes a live-in Carer? Could it be conceived as an unpaid family Carer?
I suspect they mean staff but who knows. They should have said paid Carers if that is the case - shouldn't they. Image
Marie x
It's definately worth telling them you are a live in carer Image
This tax doesn't affect me personally, however I studied law many years ago, which I freely admit may be out of date, but the general principles should still apply. This rule is very vague about who is a "live in carer" and I think ultimately there is going to be a test case when someone challenges a ruling in court. Discrimination on the grounds of marital status is against the law, so I can't see that anyone living with their spouse who provides care 24/7 can be anything other than a "live in" carer. I've previously said that it would be easier for the government to allow anyone receiving DLA/AA at the highest rate to automatically have an extra bedroom to allow the carer an uninterrupted rest. After all, if the carer becomes ill it's going to cost the government a great deal more if the caree goes into residential care!
Hi guys, there's been a wee bit of movement on this!
-We've now requested our local authority re-classify one of our rooms as a workspace for our P.A. She stays over 3 nights and has 2 x 4 hour day shifts per week.
Our MSP (Housing Minister at Scottish Parly) has written on our behalf, to the local authority Housing Dept. and no doubt we will will hear in due course.
It's a bit of a test case as to our knowledge, here, they have never re-classified rooms before but I guess we will see!

If successful could be a way forward for some other Carers who have employees/PA's etc.
I will update anything new as we hear!
Marie x
Marie, well done for being brave enough to challenge this. I'm sure you'll keep us up to date with developments.
311 posts