[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bedroom tax will it hit you/carers ??? - Page 16 - Carers UK Forum

bedroom tax will it hit you/carers ???

All about money
311 posts
Do you think we would get some civil unrest, more like i would think, most people if there not in social housing are just apathetic, they just don't care, they just think we are all benefit scroungers, what the government as made us into with the help of the right wing media cougt daily mail.
Hi, we live in private accomodation and have been on the 'bedroom limit' for 2 years even though I have to sleep in the spare room sometimes due to hubby's illness. Tried for discretionary payment but definate no no. It is not only affecting social housing.
Well said DayLily.
All the media, particularly the BBC, are ignoring the fact that in the private sector we've had to make up the difference between our rent and LHA for years. In our area the shortfall between the 2 bed rate (we need 2 rooms as well...it's not spare) and the 1 room rate we've been allocated is £75. Which is more to make up from our benefits than the 14% social tenants will have to meet. No chance of getting anywhere cheaper because as if by magic starter rents now match LHA rates.
And stop calling it a tax. It's a reduction in benefit.
Oh well here goes...
Just got our housing benefit letter in...they are deducting 25% HB , that's £43.00 being DEDUCTED per week, as they have assessed us as having a 4 bed house...on our tenancy agreement we are in a 3 bed, I rang housing management officer recently and asked what size our property was , yes , its 3 bed..so the 4 th extra "bedroom" is our dining room , which has a wheelchair size door and is access to the level wet room as this property was offered to us 15 years ago as an adapted property following my OH strokes when he was just 30 years old. We had 3 small children at then . We left behind our other big 3 bed home , with dining room , and agreed to move to save the council the money as they did not want to spend it on the other house as it was too "rural placed " There added on an extra room for extra family space ( like for like they said ) and should we need it for OH when he is unable to do the stairs. A stair lift would out of the question, its too narrow.
I am sick of it all , you are shot to pieces every which way you turn , and as for living in the private rented sector , you get to choose where you live , by the sea, in the town, in the country...you can thank all those greedy people who privately rented lovely big houses and got full housing benefit , for the introduction of the local housing allowance ... that's why the LHA was bought in...landlords were are always taking the pee...but in social housing you have to bloom where you are planted...even its a high rise, run down housing estate or a rural village ...you take it ...or you leave it.
sick of it all ....and very very angry! Image
but in social housing you have to bloom where you are planted...even its a high rise, run down housing estate or a rural village ...you take it ...or you leave it.
sick of it all ....and very very angry!
Totally understand how you feel - moving is just not an option for us either and we're caught in the middle of this one too. Our local authority have not yet got back to us with a decision.
Our house is adapted, it has toughened glass windows in our stairway, alarms fitted and a wetroom. We have three rooms, one's kitted out with all the alarms, the other is used as a workspace for the PA when she stays (3 nights a week and respite periods) and the third room is used by me - my respite is for undisturbed sleep for the 3 nights the PA covers. As we see it all three rooms are infact occupied - I guess they will eventually get around to making a decision.
It's an additional worry we could all do without. Image
Marie x
I have 3 children 2 of which cannot share a room (both get higher level care DLA in part because they need night time attention and they both have Autistic Spectrum Disorders- one of them can't even share a pot of pens at school let alone a bedroom when tired and narky at home). The other one is just months off being 16 and entitled to his own room but couldn't share with either of his brothers- tried that (he ends up sleeping on the landing floor as he won't use the sofa & can't sleep if he tries using his bed). If the twins share a room then not only do we not get any sleep neither do the neighbours so that is a guarrenteed route to becoming 'voluntary' homeless (but not really voluntary if we have no choice but make the twins share). The only other option is we manage without a living room & use the living room solely as a bedroom. The kitchen can't double as a living room for safety reasons so the landing/hall will have to (which may be just a tiny corridor). Or do they expect me to share with my 15 nearly 16 year old son? I am in a 4 bedroom Housing Association property we managed to get due to medical points.
All this is reminding me of Call The Midwife from last week where the Mum and Dad had to have a bed in the kitchen as all the kids slspt in the one bedroom, it seems we are going back to those old days now with this bedroom thing!
From April 2013 the government is bringing in major changes to the benefit system. These include changes to how it provides support to people who need help with their rent through Housing Benefit. One of these changes is called the Housing Benefit Size Criteria Rules, commonly referred to as the ‘Bedroom Tax‘.

We have produced a factsheet which aims to explain what these changes are, how they might impact on you as a carer and where to go for advice:

You can also download the factsheet from our website: http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... edroom-tax

Attachments

OK PEEPS LISTEN UP ( BEDROOM TAX ) IF YOU SMALL BEDROOM IS 70SQ FT OR UNDER IT IS CLASSED AS A BOXROOM THERE FOR CAN NOT BE CHARGED BEDROOM TAX , THIS IS LISTED UNDER THE HOUSING ACT 1985 SECTION 326 , PLEASE USE THIS DO NOT TAKE ANY EXCUSES FROM THE COUNCIL AS THE HOUSING ACT 1985 CAN NOT BE CHANGED BY LAW .
PLEASE MEASURE YOUR ROOM AND PUT YA FOOT DOWN AS THEY HAVEN'T A LEG TO STAND ON ). this i read on fb worth a check
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 003046.pdf

70 sq ft or less means the room is suitable for 0.5 of a person. How'd you get half a person?
no idea unless the half is a child
311 posts