bedroom tax will it hit you/carers ???

All about money
310 posts
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-ea ... -31263139/

When i was away for a week the residents on our block, not council but housing asociation .held an informal meeting to talk of the bedroom tax. every single home , thats 24 were in receipt of H.B. most are couples who live in a 2 bed bungalow, 3 single , we are the only couple who are mother/ son . they were told that they will all have to pay the extra £14 ? per week as in the eye`s of the council they will have a spare room . we on the other hand are not a "couple" therefore dont under occupy i cant claim H.B. but the old doll does as all her war related pensions are disregarded . the 3 single people understand the new rule but some of the " couples" have said they use both rooms they dont sleep together, they have been told that they are still regarded as having a spare room and will have to pay ...one point raised was that we have 2 gay men who are not married but live together in seperate rooms and are joint tennants they were advised that they will not lose their housing benefit ( both claim) since i came back nearly every single neighbour has asked me just what is right ...sad to say i dont have a clue ............
Firstly, the under-occupancy rules relating to the payment of housing costs in the social rented sector apply only to working-age claimants.

Secondly, the commonly cited figure of a £14 reduction in HB for having one spare bedroom is incorrect, the reduction will be 14% for one "spare" bedroom and 25% for two or more "spare" bedrooms.

Thirdly, a small number of working-age disabled people will not be effected:
A small number of households containing a disabled adult and a non-resident carer will be assessed as having a reasonable requirement for an additional room. This will have the effect of reducing the number of disabled claimants affected by the measure. Further those living in supported accommodation, where the landlord, or someone on the landlord’s behalf, provides care, support or supervision, will also be exempt from this measure.
Fourthly, an additional sum has been provided to LAs to provide short-term transitional protection in the form of DHPs (Discretionary Housing Payments).

The following DWP Equality Impact Assessment which was updated in June 2012 provides a definitive and accurate source of information]http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/eia-social-s ... wr2011.pdf[/url]
i aint 100% sure but in our block of bungalows we have about half under retirement age and the 14% will be an extra £18 per week...........
We have 2 bedrooms what will happen if say Sarah gets semi independant and lives somewhere else but comes home for weekends?
many carers like me will have a spare room when my caree enters the big parade ground in the sky or even residential care ..i will be okay as i wont be claiming H.B. but i am sure thousands of carers may well be forced out of what may have been the family home for years ..surely we should have some support for those carers ..they could be given up to 2/3 years grace before they are forced out ...it is not about the housing problem at all it is just another way to cut the benefit bill, if it were for the housing problem people like me who will be able to pay rent without the help of H.B. should be moved on .....
Holy Smokes! Image I didn't know anything about this until I read this.
Just done some Google research on it and it seems it would affect us!

We moved in Feb from a three bed HA house (with stairlift) to downsize to a two bed council bungalow since the kids have fled the nest. Although we have turned the 2nd bedroom into a dining room, I imagine the council will still class it as a "spare room".

This is going to mean we'll have to find just over £50 a month! It's gonna be tight.
married men have been living with bedroom tax for years,payable in handbags,shoes and new clothes!!!!!!!!
married men have been living with bedroom tax for years,payable in handbags,shoes and new clothes!!!!!!!!
Cruisin for a bruisin there Malc, cruisin for a bruisin..Image
Cruisin for a bruisin there Malc, cruisin for a bruisin..Image

Rofl
My son has a privately rented, ONE BEDROOM flat, previously all paid for by HB but now "capped" so he has to find £5 per week from his benefits to pay the shortfall, so changes in the HB rules are also affecting him. The care agency who look after him just filed the letters from the council without telling me, I only found out recently, so now I will have to pay for the defiicit out of his "reserve fund".
310 posts