[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Backing up your claim for PIP for the person you care for. - Carers UK Forum

Backing up your claim for PIP for the person you care for.

All about money
Hi all,
I don't know how too put this. Since my wife went onto Eesa in 2012. I have thought hard on trying too make here assessment claim for PIPs. We know it will be on it's way shortly. So I thought they are going to ram all sorts of paper legislation at my wife as she requests judgment no her case. So I've decided to play the same game. Under the Data Protection Act you can claim copies of your medical files. This is what I'm going to do. Then photo copy the lot from the hospital (it will be a lot) as well As the doctors notes. Note you keep the originals and send them under recorded special delivery (they have to sign for them). This is also with a copy of the form you filled in. On the form you tell them that your client wants a home assessment due to their health (my wife has MS in wheelchair can't walk), and that interview be taped. If there is a need for an appeal you send a full copy note copy of everything to your MP with a letter. In other words give them some work to do. This is what a shop steward friend advised it worked for him. So good luck out there.
Bye,
Bernard.
you might find this useful, it is NHS info about health records

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1309.aspx?categoryid=68

and this one

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Documents/Guidanc ... quests.pdf
Hi thanks Petal,
Have taken legal advice. The PIP's assesses should look at the notes before they interview the person concerned. But in most cases they don't even bother.
Bye,
Bernard.
hi Bernard thanks for that. Just to say we are still in process with OH PIP claim, after face to face assessment, claim refused then after manditary reconsideration still refused even though I requested the DWP contact our GP for further details, They have not done so, SO I am now going to tribunal as my hubby's condition has deteriated since the claim date in October 2014, so it goes on.
HI, Petal,
I wish you well with your husbands appeal. I know it's difficult but please keep plugging. And don't forget his and of course your own health.
Bye,
Bernard.
Perhaps everyone that is going to claim PIP should get a copy of medical records to assist in their claim, as apparently it is not the DWP that have to contact HP. The onus is on you to provide proof of impairment or medical condition, oh apparently PIP do not use medical condition they just use how your daily life is affected!
My gripe with that is GP's charge patients a fee but will comply with government official DWP for information! So it is up to the claiment to get as much info to collaborate their daily difficulties. My OH is a very proud man and if asked he says he's fine and can do certain things but in fact he has more problems than he will admit to in public, it is our generations upbringing, I feel the carer of claiment should at least be interviewed for assessment to get a clearer picture of claiment.
Petal wrote:Perhaps everyone that is going to claim PIP should get a copy of medical records to assist in their claim, as apparently it is not the DWP that have to contact HP. The onus is on you to provide proof of impairment or medical condition, oh apparently PIP do not use medical condition they just use how your daily life is affected!
My gripe with that is GP's charge patients a fee but will comply with government official DWP for information! So it is up to the claiment to get as much info to collaborate their daily difficulties. My OH is a very proud man and if asked he says he's fine and can do certain things but in fact he has more problems than he will admit to in public, it is our generations upbringing, I feel the carer of claiment should at least be interviewed for assessment to get a clearer picture of claiment.
Yes, PIP is only paid on the basis of how the disablilty affects a person's daily living & not based on the medical condition which I think's a reasonable basis since not everyone with a similar medical condition has the same or even any care needs.

E.g. I have a close relative who has bi-polar disorder but who functions quite normally & has no care needs whilst others with bi-polar may not be able to function at all & need a lot of care.

I gained appointee status a long time before the ATOS assessment so even at that stage ATOS were writing to me & not to my wife. Therefore at the assessment I was interviewed by the assessor in some detail as to what I had to do for my wife for each of the descriptors & what I considered she was capable of doing as opposed to what she said she could do.

I found it very hard to, what was to all intents & purposes, undermine my wife's ability to function independently but it had to be done otherwise neither the ATOS assessor nor the DWP decision maker would have had the true picture.

All the medical notes in the world could not have painted the picture that I was able to paint.
Thanks for posting this information Bernard. I have my Sons PIPS booklet to complete and return and I will take note of all that you have written.
I have already written to my Son's Psychiatrist for a letter of support and we are going to get a letter from the Opthamologist to explain the problems that his recent stroke have caused to him. He has Nystagmus and problems with ear and eye coordination that make him lose his balance. He vomits also due to this.
If we have to go to an assessment do you know if it viable for the assessor to allow us to record our interview?
I have copies of other medical information that I too will send alongside the completed booklet.
Hello caravanj,I have also noted what you have written, I too will take into consideration what you did, thank you.
Regards
Huegatort
All I will say is before you fill in PIP forms, read everything on here about others experiences, as from my personal experience it is not easy to cover all bases, I am OH POA and appointee and I did not include this information in the original claim and was not asked anything or felt included in Atos assessment, Now I know abit more about the process and others will tell you it is not the condition that DWP take into account it is how it affects your son, Sometimes you DO have to lay it on thick that the simplist of tasks are an issue for your son, and you may feel like you are betraying his good days but it is a means to an end,
Good Luck! Keep us posted on progress, we all like to hear a success story aswell as a fight with DWP/PIP.
And keep posting even if you just want a rant.... we understand!