[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ATOS Examination - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

ATOS Examination

All about money
The DWP always seem to take an age, however if/when the benefit is awarded it will be backdated to when you originally applied. If it is not awarded, then be sure to ask for a copy of the doctor's report and then appeal or ask for a reconsideration. Let us know how you get on.
It's your 'if/when the benefit is awarded' bit that I'm trying to get an answer to but no one seems to know.

If an ATOS doctor diagnoses my wife as having 'a major problem with her mobility & confusion', are the DWP bound to accept his diagnosis or can they still make their own decision?

If she was already getting DLA & the ATOS doctor said she didn't qualify, I bet they'd accept his diagnosis quickly enough then & remove it on the grounds of his diagnosis.
I can only speak from personal experience. Yes. They believed everything the ATOS doctor said, even the bit that said the Waitrose disabled car park was 300 yards away from the shop. They never saw anything wrong with this nutty statement!!! He said I could walk the 300 yards, so therefore I didn't qualify. It was only when I queried being turned down for a second time that it was suggested by the DWP that they sent me a copy of the report. Only then could I point out that the Waitrose disabled car park was no more than five feet from the shop wall!
That's quite postive for my wife's case.
That's quite postive for my wife's case.
The DWP have awarded my wife the higher rate mobility element & the low rate care element.

Whilst not ungrateful & using the Tesco philosophy of "every little helps", we have studied the written determination about the care element & we do wonder what care a person would need in order to get medium & high rate.
My husband has high rate mobility and low rate care and I reckon they didn't read the forms right for the amount of care I am giving him!

I have a feeling they only award low care so that the person caring cannot claim carers allowance therefore saving the government money
Nilla are we getting cynical of this government Image
We sure are!

Lets look at the facts
More people being given low rate care when they should get middle or high so they don't pay carers allowance
Pension age rising so people wont be claiming pensions they will be dropping dead before they retire so that saves money
Cutting care packages ensures the disabled don't get the correct care so they die
ATOS saying people are fit for work when they clearly aren't so they commit suicide or just pass away from malnutrition or hyperthermia

Its getting worse it really is whilst that lot get more expenses, go on holidays all the time and eat well!
My husband has high rate mobility and low rate care and I reckon they didn't read the forms right for the amount of care I am giving him!

I have a feeling they only award low care so that the person caring cannot claim carers allowance therefore saving the government money
At 69-yrs-old I wouldn't get Carer's Allowance.

According to the determination it seems that the lower rate care is based on the fact that I don't get up 3 times in the night to look after my wife etc. but if I wasn't there my wife would be back in hospital within a month & then she'd probably have to go into full-time care on her release.

But at the same time the determination accepts that I have to cook, do the housework, help with her bathing, administer her medications etc which doesn't leave much that I don't have to do.