[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Any experience with tribunals? - Carers UK Forum

Any experience with tribunals?

All about money
I am in the process of appealing a decision regarding my entitlement to carers allowance and now face the dreaded tribunal. I am working hard to accumulate as much information as possible and wondered if anyone here had any experience with tribunals, any advice regarding facing them, and whether anyone had been successful in their appeal?

It is hard not to feel like I am fighting a losing battle and wasting a lot of man hours...
Hi Robin ... if the 21 Hour Rule , that's Government policy , and enshrined in Law.

Tribunial ? As mentioned on that separate thread , little more available other than the two routes mentioned ... NUS Welfare Officier / Advice Line on here ... local CAB / Law Centre ...

Check out that separate thread , I've raised the temperature ... although that in itself will be of no help in the short term.

Keep us informed , many others will be facing the same problem.
Hi Robin, I've been involved with lots of tribunals. Only one case rejected, for good reason.

Can you tell us what your correspondence so far from the CA Unit gives as the reason for rejecting your claim?
bowlingbun wrote:Hi Robin, I've been involved with lots of tribunals. Only one case rejected, for good reason.

Can you tell us what your correspondence so far from the CA Unit gives as the reason for rejecting your claim?
I am a mature university student re-taking my first year as a 'year without residency'. I have some revision to do and a little work towards two modules and I have no contact hours with the university for this year. I applied for carers allowance but as the university states that I am still enrolled on a full time course, I am not entitled. I have already been through the mandatory reconsideration process and now have the paperwork to proceed with the appeal. A very helpful girl at the CAB is putting some advice together for me and I haven't been able to get hold of the Carers UK Advice line just yet.

So far it feels like as soon as I mention "full time education" everyone just goes mmmm and shakes their head. It's starting to make my doubt whether I should pursue this or not.
Definitely worth going to the tribunal. I was on a part time, mature students Honours degree course, in Business Studies. i kept my CA throughout, college attendance one day a week. Too long ago to remember the exact details I'm afraid.
Don't be afraid of the Tribunal, held formally, but no employees of DWP on the panel.
bowlingbun wrote:Definitely worth going to the tribunal. I was on a part time, mature students Honours degree course, in Business Studies. i kept my CA throughout, college attendance one day a week. Too long ago to remember the exact details I'm afraid.
Don't be afraid of the Tribunal, held formally, but no employees of DWP on the panel.
Thanks! I was afraid of it being a formal occasion, held by people who would be inflexible and unwilling to listen to reason or circumstance. I think my experiences with DWP and their blinkered by-the-book approach has made me doubt. So the judge doesn't just dismiss things on face value? I have a genuine chance to plead my case and get all my points across?
Absolutely, the "judge" or tribunal chairman, has legal training etc. but the other two have some association with disability organisations. They will look at the law, look at your circumstances, and make a decision based on the facts.