Any advice on benefits please? Confused

All about money
Hi there fellow Carers.
I’ll try to be brief, I’m trying to find out if it’s worth my trying to claim PIP.
I care full time for my husband who has mental illness (15 years)
I was working part time but have Chrinic Fatigue Syndrome and was signed off as too I’ll to work.
I get Carers Allowance since losing my job.
I have just got New Style (cont. based ESA)- they disallow my Carers Allowance so I just get £8 per week.
We get housing benefit and council tax benefit. My husband gets PIP and is in the support group for DLA
I’m worried about claiming PIP if it’s going to affect other benefits. Does anyone know if it will impact them?
Very many thanks in advance.
Hi Jen

PIP and Carers Allowance ?

Not a problem.

If you are a carer who has care needs, you can claim PIP for yourself and this will not affect your Carer's Allowance. ... If you have a carer then claiming PIP may help them to qualify for certain benefits (such as Carers Allowance). PIP may also entitle you and/or your carer to further help with council tax.

2 adults ... husband / wife ... both less abled and caring for each other ... PIP + CA each ... more common that one would think.

If granted , PIP will effect the current ESA ... depending on flavour of PIP.

ESA ... implies that you are seeking work which , in reality , you are not ?

ESA / CA ... overlapping benefits ... like the State Pension / CA ... only one will be paid ... ESA paid plus the Carers Premium bit.

Housing Benefit ... social housing / BTL tenant ... if social , any potential problems with succession in the event of the first death ?

To add into the mix , has Universal Credit been rolled out on your manor ?

Post code checker :

https://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate

Eventually , the whole lot will be combined under one payment through Universal Credit.

For a quick check on the apparent maze of benefits / allowances now paid ... and possibly to be paid ... try crunching some nunbers through an Online benefits checker :

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

Plenty of scope for the various combinations and the add ons like Housing Benefit and a possible Council Tax discount.

Once you have a clearer picture , for a definite view , the Carers UK Advice Team ( Best by email ) :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... line-24147

It's possible that they might see something to your adavantage not seen by us at ground floor level.

Feel free to bounce anything off us here on the forum.
Chris, believe you are conflating ESA and JSA? No requirement to look for work with ESA, at most requirement to take part in 'work-related' activities. As a carer even this should not be required - seem recall there is a Carers UK factsheet on this?

Jen, am I correct in thinking you are receiving £73.10? I ask as am in exactly same situation as you and thats what I get. (Although in my case its CA plus 8.50 top-up ESA)
Hi GF.

Yes ... my answer was a little confusing ... as is ESA as is , and under UC.

ESA ... depends on which group one is placed ... work related activity ( WRA ) or support group.

Jen mentioned working previously , and is now a carer ... a switch from ESA to CA or sticking on ESA plus the CP bit ?

The former usually comes with an " Adviser " and , according to the Book , regular interviews ... I assume relating to work prospects ?

The latter , Book again , no interviews.

Under Universal Credit , there is now a third type which places a time limit on the WRA flavour.

If Jen is currently in the support group flavour , NO compuision to seek work.

Might also explain the occasional postings wherein carers are called in for work related interviews ... wrong " Flavour " of ESA ?