Changing who I care for?

For information and discussion about benefits
I'm currently caring for my mother and I want to move my carer's allowance over to caring for my wife.

Can anyone tell me if this will effect my benefits at all, will I need to make a new carer's allowance claim or will it stay active, just the name changes of who i'm registered to care for etc etc

And can anyone tell me if this will effect my Income Support claim, will it continue as normal or do I need to make a new claim etc etc
Hello Craig

I suspect you will have to stop the CA for your Mum and re-apply for CA for your wife, but how this would impact on other benefits I'm not qualified to say so I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

Freephone: 0808 808 7777

Carers UK’s advice and information team based in London is undergoing staff changes. This means the Adviceline is closed on Thursdays and Fridays whilst we recruit and train new members of staff. We will be taking calls on Monday – Wednesday between 10am and 4pm. . You can email or write to the Adviceline and we will respond to your enquiries within five working days.

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 10am to 4pm.

If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.
Definitely ring/email the helpline before you do ANYTHING! Our helpline is brilliant at answering this sort of question, as depending on the benefits your wife and mum currently receive they too may receive more or less.