[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Discharge from a Hub Bed - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Discharge from a Hub Bed

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
You shouldn't allow yourself to be put off applying for CHC by one social worker. The final straw when my brother was awarded it was that he was incapable of looking after his own health, on the contrary, his conduct without help would have been dangerous. Of course, cases vary and councils vary, but without trying you will never know.
Thanks. I have complained via PALS, and also requested this.

My difficulty seems to be that mental health isn't viewed as a medical need, but I disagree.
Greta wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:13 pm
You shouldn't allow yourself to be put off applying for CHC by one social worker. The final straw when my brother was awarded it was that he was incapable of looking after his own health, on the contrary, his conduct without help would have been dangerous. Of course, cases vary and councils vary, but without trying you will never know.
Staff should NOT be prejudging the outcome of a Continuing Healthcare Checklist Assessment.
They should go through the procedure, and it should involve you.,
Even if it is negative, it will give a very useful "base line" against which future progress or decline can be measured.
Tell them the more they procrastinate over this, the longer mum will be in their bed, not an appropriate nursing home!

My own mum was also perceived as a "bed blocker" for months, I know what a great strain it puts on relatives.
Thank you, it's good to know that their negativity is not correct professional practice.

I wrote two very strongly worded, assertive emails this morning, one to the hospital social worker, in which I mentioned my previous complaint to PALS, and saying I would contact them again. Another to PALS.

I got an immediate reply from the social worker, telling me a urgent meeting will be arranged with professionals, to discuss my mother's needs, and that I will be included.

I still don't understand why they say mental health is not a medical need? She's had a complete change of personality and cannot manage daily tasks safely.

I am really concerned that this leaving her to sit will further comprise what little mobility she does have, and her continence, which has been fine until now.

I actually feel like I am in some kind of legal battle over semantics, which is ridiculous.

bowlingbun wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:48 am
Staff should NOT be prejudging the outcome of a Continuing Healthcare Checklist Assessment.
They should go through the procedure, and it should involve you.,
Even if it is negative, it will give a very useful "base line" against which future progress or decline can be measured.
Tell them the more they procrastinate over this, the longer mum will be in their bed, not an appropriate nursing home!

My own mum was also perceived as a "bed blocker" for months, I know what a great strain it puts on relatives.
Hi Alison

I'd start here https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-ca ... ealthcare/ it gives a lot of information and points out that "psychological and emotional needs" is one of the "domains." That's mental health.

There is far too much to go into on this forum, but the information above also provides additional links to information and you can dig out what you need. There's also information about an independent body that can advise you, called Beacon.
Thank you, I have requested the toolkit from.Beacon, which looks really helpful .

I now feel like I might be a bit more informed about how to make sure things are done the right way.

Charles_2112 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:26 pm
Hi Alison

I'd start here https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-ca ... ealthcare/ it gives a lot of information and points out that "psychological and emotional needs" is one of the "domains." That's mental health.

There is far too much to go into on this forum, but the information above also provides additional links to information and you can dig out what you need. There's also information about an independent body that can advise you, called Beacon.
So, there is a proposed urgent meeting of professionals about Mum's care on Tuesday, next week, that I can attend. Very short notice for me, but I can make it work.

I have asked the social worker to give me:

The purpose of meeting
Details and names of who will attend and their roles and responsibilities in my mother's care
Details of any checklists, assessments and decision making tools and criteria that have and will be used

I want to read up on legislation and guidance in advance.

Have I missed anything?
I'd say you're pretty much there. Just make sure you take notes on the day, and take a list of any questions you want answering at the meeting. Check off each one as you get through them (writing down the answers of course). Don't miss the opportunity to ask those questions!