[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Do you think my nana has been neglected by care home? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Do you think my nana has been neglected by care home?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I really don’t understand how they didn’t especially when the knew she wasn’t drinking.
She’s had 5 bags of fluids now and she’s on the antibiotics.
I just really hope she gets better.
All her tongue has scabs on with the dryness
Her eyes are sunken
It’s just awful
Your Nana’s condition does sound severe. Do not let the home get away with this. It’s truly appalling and needs investigating.
Melly1
Hello Sarah

I was sorry to read that your nan has not been well. From the details you've provided we thought that you may want to make a complaint about the treatment your nan has received in the care home. I've therefore forwarded your post to Carers UK's helpline and will send you an email with the advice they provide. This could take up to five working days.

Wishing you and your nan well

Michael
Thankyou Michael that’s really helpful.
Consultant rang today and her bloods showed her infection is coming down and her kidney function is now improving.
It’s still early days but fingers crossed it’s going in the right direction.
The consultant asked how I feel about her going back to that care home.
I think she knows her care wasn’t at the standard it should have been.
Would you move her care homes ?
Find something else.
I’m not sure I have any faith in them anymore.
Can I ask how your nana was funded? Was she paying her own fees, or were they paid by Social Services, or the NHS?
Personally, I don't think you would ever feel able to trust them again?
They are funded by the council as she doesn’t have any savings.
Ask the consultant to arrange for an "NHS Continuing Healthcare" assessment for Nan. It might just mean the NHS will fund a better home than Social Services, however it's a bit of a postcode lottery. Does nan own or rent her home?
Sarah _20071 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:17 pm

Would you move her care homes ?
Find something else.
I’m not sure I have any faith in them anymore.

Definitely, I wouldn't trust them to water a houseplant, let alone take care of a vulnerable old lady.
I'd want her to go elsewhere. I'd contact social care services and also the adult safeguarding team and complain to both. Also talk to the consultant who asked you if you wanted your Nan to return to the same home.

At the hospital mum was in, there was a nursing manager in the a&e who reviewed elderly persons' social care arrangements.

I would think that a&e and/or your nan's consultant would be obliged to flag her case as a safeguarding event. In any event you can start a safeguarding case. In my experience, the safeguarding case resulted in a change of care company.

I'm glad to hear your Nan has been responding to her treatment in hospital.

Please be aware that the delirium may linger well after the uti has been brought to where it can be treated with tablets rather than IV antibiotics. I wouldn't be in any hurry for the hospital to discharge your nan.
Hi everyone just a little nan update.
She has been brighter today and has ate her tea.
She’s been singing to the nurses today.
She’s such a little star.
I’m going to try and find the best care home /nursing home possible.