Getting a wheelchair?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
At last talked him into it. No reason not to - he struggles to walk so why not?

Even convinced him that, yes, pretty much everywhere is wheelchair accessible so there are no problems. Its not as if he can't get in and out without too much problem.

Next problem - getting an actual wheelchair. Personally, I'd just but them - seen them for about £60 but I know there is more chance of finding Elvis on the moon riding Shergar than him actually spending money on one (or letting me buy it). He would literally rather crawl 100m and do without a wheelchair than pay for one. (Worked it out - a wheelchair which would provide MASSIVE help for him would cost 0.1% of his savings....

So, hes got his heart set on FREE. I'm going to try social services but not sure if they will or how long it takes? Stupidly, my dear brother has said he knows someone whos got a spare one and then disappeared (so this kicked off my Dads FREE responses immediately). Honestly, I think half the contents of his house come from people/friends who've passed away and hes got hold of for free. Not to mention the wardrobes in his bedroom (falling to bits mind) which were old when his mother (my gran) passed away in her 90s twenty odd years ago!

Any suggestions for best place to get?
My wife's been in a wheelchair for some years now but it was difficult to get that transition from sticks walking at 2 miles per hour. At first we bought a second hand one for £5 but she wouldn't use it in our own town in case anyone we knew saw her. So I can sympathies with your problem but I can also understand your husbands reluctance.
john wilsonhall wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:17 am
My wife's been in a wheelchair for some years now but it was difficult to get that transition from sticks walking at 2 miles per hour. At first we bought a second hand one for £5 but she wouldn't use it in our own town in case anyone we knew saw her. So I can sympathies with your problem but I can also understand your husbands reluctance.
Thanks John. Yes I get that some people don't want to use a wheelchair.... (Its Dad BTW).
Paul
Have you considered hiring one? I know your dad won't want to pay, but maybe you could say it's a trial to see how you feel?
Pet66 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:14 pm
Paul
Have you considered hiring one? I know your dad won't want to pay, but maybe you could say it's a trial to see how you feel?
Thats an option but I think its £10 a day or £60 to buy....
Time for "kind white lies".
Buy one, give it to him saying you'd got it free (from dump or a friend, whatever).
He's happy, you're happy.
Amazing how much happiness £60 can buy
I got one, for completely free, open-ended hire from St John's Ambulence. There were loads to choose from! Phone them and ask where the nearest centre is. The only money that changed hands was the deposit I had to put down, but it was refundable on return. Off hand, I can't remember how much the desposit was, probably about £40 I think.

After about a year they wrote to say our local centre was closing, and could I either return it or keep it and not get the deposit back, so I did the latter.
PS - Don't tell your dad about the deposit!!!!! Just tell him it's completely free.

You might get a totally free on off Freecyle etc?
jenny lucas wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:37 pm
I got one, for completely free, from St John's Ambulance.
My wife's first wheelchair was acquired in a similar fashion from the Red Cross, the loan was extended after the first year and we eventually returned it when our council run equipment suppliers became involved and supplied us with a brand new one.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-ca ... -scooters/

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/mobilit ... wheelchair

https://www.redcross.org.uk/get-help/bo ... wheelchair

Red Cross How much it costs
We’ll suggest a donation of £10 a week to help cover the cost of providing our services. You won’t be turned away if you can’t afford a donation.

You can also buy a wheelchair from us.