[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Your help needed - Carers UK Forum

Your help needed

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Moneysavingexpert.com has nominated Carers UK as one of its website charities. You can vote on whether Carers UK should win the award. This will help Carers UK provide information for carers and campaign for better support for carers. More info at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/#vote

Thanks for your support
I was unaware that CarersUK supported Carers financially - is this so?
Its sad that CUK have to revert to this to get votes, its like politician kissing the babies before the election.

There are far more needy charities than CUK on that list.
I was unaware that CarersUK supported Carers financially - is this so?
So was I?
Gem wrote]

Very little direct financial help, I think Cuk sometimes helps out with respite care for carers to attend some events? More as Gavin says.
This will help Carers UK provide information for carers and campaign for better support for carers. More info at www.moneysavingexpert.com/#vote

Thanks for your support
There are far more needy charities than CUK on that list.
I dont agree...for example the ex-services welfare charities (one of which is in first place at the moment) collectively already have a huge pile of cash in their coffers and raise megabucks each year, whilst carers charities scrimp by on next to nothing . Its just as well the Guide dogs for the Blind arent in there - they are hugely successful in their fundraising. Many charities spnd 10% plus of their revenue on fundraising, we just cant compete.

As for means of raising cash - there are worse - at least this is a fair process - well fairly fair, so get back in and vote again today!
There's a forum on the link to chat about the various charities being voted for.

Someone raises the point on there about the Samaritans having difficulty raising funds because of their members having to remain anon. Never thought of that.
Hi
I have a vested interest in Cancer research and the Heart foundation & Diabetes UK.
That's what i call Deserving Charities.
And any other illness related charities.
John.
Carers UK are not resorting to anything: they've been nominated for consideration and the company concerned is asking for people to vote. End of story.

Carers UK does not provide direct financial support to carers because they'd have to fundraise specifically for that: however there are carers centres and the PRTC who already do this. It would spread an already too thin pot even more thinly and is not a sensible way to go.

CUK is more involved in providing direct support through the helpline so that carers can actually get what they are entitled to without some jobsworth pulling the wool over their eyes, which frankly is at least as important. The rest of their function is around campaigning for better support via training, information and lobbying. All of this, believe it or not, requires money.

It's up to you. If you want CUK to be more effective, vote for CUK. If not, don't complain that they are not as effective as you want.

If you have other priorities, fine - that's your choice and I for one won't criticise the exercise of free choice.

But please ask yourself this: if you don't like the fact that the government won't prioritise carers, what exactly is your complaint when you won't either?
[quote]Carers UK are not resorting to anything]

Excellently put Charles and agree with you 110% on this!!!