Ombudsman Report - council must meet ALL assessed needs

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
The Ombudsman has recently given this decision. Really important for all of us!

https://www.lgo.org.uk/information-cent ... -ombudsman
Akin to the words of a judge.

Why does it take so much effort to obtain support services from the System ?

In many ways , similarities with the Benefit system ... so complicated that some give up somewhere along the line , and ultimately receive less than their entitlement ?

Intentional ?

Perhaps but ... until the System adopts a more pro-active approach to it's clients , nothing will change.

It is there to provide services as laid down in Law ... not withold them for whatever reason !
The Ombudsman will soon be delivering his views on my own complaint. It was due in January but delayed due to volume of work. Of course if councils did their job properly he would be out of a job!
Interesting indeed

The cynic in me wouldn't be surprised if after a reassessment he is reassessed for much less care..

The accountant in me knows that no council can afford 1:1 24/7 care for all those needing it. They can't even afford minimal care for all those that need it. The well intentioned move away from residential institutions bears a huge cost as there are no economies of scale

(BB, my comments in no way reflect on M. It's just the system that's wrong that each individual now needs to fight for what they need xx)
Don't worry, no offence taken. Last time I went to the Ombudsman the council had told lies about dates! I'm not holding my breath.
"Why does it take so much effort to obtain support services from the System ?"

You answer your own question: ie,

"In many ways , similarities with the Benefit system ... so complicated that some give up somewhere along the line , and ultimately receive less than their entitlement ?"

As for the answer to your second question:

'Intentional?'

Er, yes.

(I expect they employ a first class honours degree from Oxbridge to work out all the ways they can reduce the money they hand over by 'managing demand'!)

Oh, that Swift were alive today. He'd savage them with another Modest Proposal.....
Good in theory, but I hope this doesn't provoke a tightening of the eligibility criteria. The criteria where we live is already very biased towards those with a physical disability.

Mrs A, hopefully the Ombudsman's stipulation that, "The council should also use an independent assessor to carry out a reassessment," will ensure they don't downgrade his needs.

Melly1
So does this mean the council should provide night care for my caree, they have been assessed as needing night care but the council don't do night care.

Sounds a very similar case .
Londonbound, yes, definitely. If assessed as needing it, it should be provided. First make a formal complaint to the council. Apparently, the system is going to change next year, so there will be an "independent person" investigating at local level before a referral to the Ombudsman. This is going back to how it was 25 years ago, I was complaining regularly about respite. It was a much nicer way of trying to resolve things, but still didn't get me the respite! Instead, I was punished for complaining by having M's name removed from the respite list! A year later my GP ordered Social Services to fund a boarding placement at M's school as my health was ìn tatters. 14 lots of antibiotics in 12 months. Of course boarding cost a fortune in comparison to respite.