[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Would a care home accept my mum as opposed to a nursing home - Carers UK Forum

Would a care home accept my mum as opposed to a nursing home

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hello

I was wondering if anyone could advise me if my mum would be accepted......(meet the criteria..I guess is that very inpersonal term) by a Residential care home as opposed to a nursing home.

The details are:

she's 87 years old, severe arthritis in her left knee, back pain, osteoporasis

she fell back in April and broke her hip....whilst that's healed the arthritis is now so bad it appears she's lost the use of her legs, I have to lift her from her armchair and into her wheelchair then to the bed then to the comode.....she can stand for a bit with a zimmerframe....whilst she cleans her bottom.

Medication is just 2 paracetamol in the morning......she'll typically take a 10mg tablet of amitriptyline before bed and a calcium tablet...and I'll give her a shot of Oral Morphine (1.25 ml) if she wants it in the night...which tends to be most nights.

Mentally there's no signs of real dimentia but slightly not with it at times.

You might have guessed where I'm going with this.......A care home will be cheaper than a nursing home as we'll be self funding....and rightly or wrongly I can't help thinking that a care home would be a nicer environment for my mum in comparison to a nursing home. Interested in people's thoughts on this... Also in the mix is that when we were planning a respite stay back in October she was turned down by a particular care home that we had our eye on......in the end she went a nursing home in the same organisation. My mum hated it....... I really liked the staff but I did feel it may not have been the most suitable place for her given how it seemed all the other residents were particularly mentally frail.....I'm sure you all understand I don't mean any disrespect to such people what so ever.....rather I'm only thinking about what would be the most conducive environment for my mum.

I don't know if this is a silly question but is it more a case of it depends on the individual care home as to whether they accept her or is there an across the board criteria. If people can advise what I could realistically expect when talking to care homes I would be very grateful.

Thanks alot
I understand where you are coming from cost-wise but would suggest you think long term too. Is it possible to find a residential/nursing home? My dad was in one of these. They had a sliding scale of charges and, as his needs increased, the costs increased but he stayed in one place. He knew them and they knew him.
I don't know where you would stand in terms of her care needs. Others would be able to bring their experiences. In my dad's home there were nurses who administered the meds and carers who dealt with the personal side of things. They did an assessment on entry to determine whether he needed nursing care. He didn't at that point but was just about to change to it when he died. There is funding of around £100 a week to support the cost of nursing care.
Jx
Thanks alot....I was wondering if it's the case that most if not all Residential care homes would refuse take my mum or not?
Generally speaking, if someone needs hoisting in and out of bed (you should NOT be picking mum up as you risk damaging your back) then that will require two nurses and a hoist. That's counted as nursing care. Not all nursing homes are the same. You need to look round at the local ones - start with the ones nearest you and work out - and find one which you like the most. It's a huge decision, but normally within a few minutes of your visit you will have a gut feeling whether it's right or not. My mum's nursing home is more like a hotel with nurses. Yes, it is very expensive, I sold her house, but with a prognosis of less than a year left, I wanted her to be well cared for and pain free. Anyone needing nursing home care should be entitled to NHS Continuing Healthcare according to the judge in the Coughlan case, however at the moment there are many NHS Trusts which are ignoring this, and many solicitors working for clients who are reclaiming amounts in excess of £!00,000 of fees. I'm going down that route. As Juggler has said, there is a "Funded Nursing Care" contribution available of roughly £100 per week, which you should get easily. Sadly, your mum's osteoporosis is progressive, and if she needs oramorph regularly, she needs a nurse available to administer it. Care homes are not required to have any qualified nurses, nursing homes must. The big advantage of a nursing home is that they can cope with almost anything. Mum decided about six months ago that she never ever wanted to go to hospital again, the doctor and the home all agree. So you can rest in the sure knowledge that mum is fine, and your relationship can return to that of mother and son. Hope that helps.
Juan Carlos,

My mum has been recently moved into a nursing home where residents with largely non-nursing needs live on the ground floor, and those who require more intensive nursing live on the first and second floor. Sadly, your mum's needs will most likely increase as she gets older and a residential home may then not be able to cope. It can be very stressful to have to transfer to another home.

Good luck with whatever you decide. It is probably best to visit several types of homes to get a feel of what would suit your mum best