[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Working to rule - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Working to rule

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
If you don't know what equity, as opposed to common law, is, all the better for you! I can't really explain it. All the law relating to trusts is equity (the term is just a label and doesn't imply it's fairer or more equitable).It's a huge area of English law that just doesn't exist in Scots law. .- But when you say it is explicit, in Scots law I take it, that nails it. It should be easier to understand. In England and Wales, if two people own a house jointly then on the face of it it's 50% each, but 'behind the curtain' (in equity) the shares could be different.

I wish I hadn't joined in here, it isn't doing anybody any good!
Greta wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:50 pm
If you don't know what equity, as opposed to common law, is, all the better for you!
Thanks, I'm not a property lawyer. I'm more a sort of para-legal who has taken in a few odds and sods over 40 years. In my legal dealings at work I tended only to stick to stuff like statute & common law. Whenever I had to stray into other areas everything tended to seem squishy and hazy by comparison with those two paths. ;)
But when you say it is explicit, in Scots law I take it, that nails it.
In the areas of law I worked with - employment law and tax law - explicit clauses and terms always beats implied terms. Anywhere in the UK. I guess it's usually contract law, thinking about it.
In England and Wales, if two people own a house jointly then on the face of it it's 50% each, but 'behind the curtain' (in equity) the shares could be different.
It's 50/50 in joint tenancies unless the parties have stipulated other shares and legally recorded that. I don't know how it works with tenants-in-common. I've had dealings with a couple who tried to persuade me (or rather, my trainee) that their shares in their jointly owned house varied from year to year, but I put a stop to that. No proof. Only their word for it. Too bad. As I used to tell employers I audited: "that agreement isn't worth the paper it wasn't written on."
I wish I hadn't joined in here, it isn't doing anybody any good!
How can you tell? :lol:
I always enjoy seeing what carers do in their "other lives". I've learned so much from my fellow forum members. I shall always be grateful for the explanation, within minutes of asking, "How do you use Skype".
My "party piece" for many years, when asked what I did, I'd say "I run a national lorry club. I'm the nation's expert on one make of lorry". Usually the reply went along the lines of "What did you just say?!?!"
Even sillier is the comment that "I owned a Sierra for 8 years without ever learning how to lift the bonnet".
It was always assumed that my dad was a haulier. When asked which one, I would reply that no, he wasn't a haulier, he was a top satellite scientist"..
Followed by "my only hobby is dressmaking".
These days, I just say "I'm a mad crazy woman".
Sounds fine if she is able to keep clean, though a weekly or fortnightly visit from district nurse to monitor pressure sites would give me more peace of mind with the healing process as a precaution