[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
How many carers in my area?! - Carers UK Forum

How many carers in my area?!

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Here's a bit of a talking point. I've just received the regular briefing sheet from CUK, and imagine most people here have too. It's easy to miss some things on these, but the census has just released the numbers of carers divided into area. Having finally mastered how to look at it, I've discovered that there are 20,000 carers in the New Forest area, out of a total population of 169,000 (figure from the council website). So what do we get for that? 20,000 people needing support and not even a proper carer's support centre. At the moment, I know that the Princess Royal Trust for carers has someone based in the area, but frankly, one person for 20,000 can't really make a difference. Have a look at your own area, and see what the figures are there. Is the 16% increase from the last census the result of an increasing influx of people from other areas into "Costa Geriatrica, or Gods Waiting Room" or is it forced onto people because the number of care homes has reduced?
I don't know this for sure, but I think there may have been a change in the way the census asked the relevant question/s as well. This may have drawn out some of those people who did not recognise themselves as carers in the previous census, increasing the numbers.