[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Woolies + MFI - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Woolies + MFI

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
We have been quite lucky with cash even in the 50`s we never thought of our selves as poor ( i do now) but thank God for wollies in Gosforth, it was the only shop where many people could buy gifts for their families at a good price they have tried to keeep prices low for years but once again it`s poor management that have caused the problems lack of vision but it`s the minimum wage worker who will lose out as usual.
The shop in Gosforth may be saved no other shop like it in our area however i have a friend who has franchise with McDonalds or 3- about 4 years ago he wanted to take over the wollies site in Gosforth for new restaurant dont have a McDonalds near us .
Woolies has been a part of all of my life. My mum and an auntie worked there, also many school friends. One girl went there as a saturday girl and is still there.

I feel sorry for the staff who seem to have been told to carry on regardless.

But my BIG GRIPE is that we give Woolies vouchers for Christmas gifts for the youngsters who enjoy going to spend them after Christmas in the sale. The vouchers are all bought, but what happens to our hard earned cash if the shop closes?

Another case of buyer beware perhaps?

Take care
Meg
We will be buying Boots vouchers this year instead of Woolies that way the reciepitants won't be disapointed when then go to spend em and find Woolies shut
There's also talk of PC World being in strife as well.Now that would be a loss as i've always bought new towers from there every time the previous one gets past it's sell by date so to speak.
I don't think I have bought anything from Woolies in twenty years .. . plastic toys, nasty cheap chocolate eggs and CDs ...who cares?
"Without vision the people shall perish" - true in their case, they never really knew what they were there for. No tears here. As for MFI they sold cheap shoddy furniture, didn't they, and then lost out to the flatpack competition.. ain't life tough?
Can't be any worse than IKEA.I wanted to buy a computer desk from them last year and foundout it would have been January when it was delivered.It was November when i looked around for one.No way was i waiting that long.I got one at Argos and delivered within a couple of days and cheaper too.
I have just told my son with Downs Syndrome the news about Woollies. It is his favourite shop. Wherever we go, we have to go there!His first reaction amazed me. "But what about the staff, that is their work."I really thought he would be upset not to go and look at the Nintendo games etc in there!I am really proud of him, for thinking of the staff first. Image
have just been to comet for a net book toshiba £300 , nintendo d.s. £100 4 games @ £20 each £80 ( or near enonugh) i also wanted a d.a.b. radio- i asked for a deal for cash i`ve been told i can have the d.a.b. radio free its priced at £199 ( evoke ) salesman said it will be put down to someone claiming five fingered discount Image thats shoplifting for those who dont know who cares as long as i save summit .
There's also talk of PC World being in strife as well.Now that would be a loss as i've always bought new towers from there every time the previous one gets past it's sell by date so to speak.
Yes, that would be a real loss though i expect some other company like Maplin would move in - these days the big supermarkets have a quite a range of computers and printers too - I picked up my last two computers and printers with the groceries. B&Q is part of the same mega company and they have also been seeing big losses - we use them a lot.
Attaboy George - well done Image Image

If you're buying anything expensive a good place to look is www.kelkoo.com - it's a very good price comparison website - it lists all the stores online and in the High Street - cheapest first. I find it's a good place to start.
Its the people who end up out of work I feel sorry for.
My son works in the offices of Sommerfield and will be made redundant soon as Co Op have now bought them, they either move to Manchester or their out of a job. Our part of the world seems to be sinking Image