WOOHOO!! A rise in CA

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Very true Alex. Should concider myself as one of the lucky ones.

Cheryl Image
Dont get me wrong, it is a paltry amount but at least you're getting it. I just wish that the rules about who gets carers Allowance should be ammended.
All carers regardless should get it. It's a bleedin hard thing we do not forgetting emotional. Still doesn't make up for the wages i have been forced to give up. Still wont bring my mum back or make my dad "abled" or make up for our lives being turned upside down. Or make me not think my life is over at 40 but hey ho thats life for some of us mere mortals

I will just carry on dreaming about winning the lottery

Cheryl xx
All carers regardless should get it. It's a bleedin hard thing we do not forgetting emotional. Still doesn't make up for the wages i have been forced to give up. Still wont bring my mum back or make my dad "abled" or make up for our lives being turned upside down. Or make me not think my life is over at 40 but hey ho thats life for some of us mere mortals

I will just carry on dreaming about winning the lottery

Cheryl xx
Yeah i agree that all carers should get it regardless of their circumstances. I know £50.55 doesnt make up for the wages that one has given up. I know if i didnt care for Sarah i'd be working in a decent-ish job. As you rightly said no matter how much money you get it wont change anything.

Being a carer is like pushing a boulder up mount everest. We will always be part of the struggle.
If you get Carers Allowance (didn't it used to be ICA (Invalid Care Allowance?), It's roughly 28p an hour (£6.72 a day). If your "caree" stays in a nursing home it's roughly £130 a day. What does that tell you? Image
If you get Carers Allowance (didn't it used to be ICA (Invalid Care Allowance?), It's roughly 28p an hour (£6.72 a day). If your "caree" stays in a nursing home it's roughly £130 a day. What does that tell you?
It tells me that carers are vastly under paid Image

The last time my mother went into respite care she was charged £121 per week.
Because she recieves pension credit that figure is actually about a third of the real cost.

£121 is 2.5 times more than CA, £363 is 7.5 times more. Image
If you get Carers Allowance (didn't it used to be ICA (Invalid Care Allowance?), It's roughly 28p an hour (£6.72 a day). If your "caree" stays in a nursing home it's roughly £130 a day. What does that tell you?
It tells me that carers are vastly under paid Image

The last time my mother went into respite care she was charged £121 per week.
Because she recieves pension credit that figure is actually about a third of the real cost.

£121 is 2.5 times more than CA, £363 is 7.5 times more. Image
A third of the cost is £121, that makes the whole cost £363 per week. I don't know where your mother goes but that complete price with no discount is so cheap! My husband goes to respite now and again and one home charges around £1,000 per week and the other around £800.

What I am saying is our measly £47 a week is saving the government MILLIONS which is why they should look after us more by increasing carers allowance 2 fold. Lord knows how we struggle not only with our loved ones, but also struggling to live on a pittance. 2 fold is still meagre. Increasing it 4 fold would be out of the question but you could live easier.
Hi Dorothy
It's a council run residential home in Soth Wales, so maybe council owned are cheaper?

Still seems a lot of money to me, specially compared to CA Image
This has a facility to add a comment.If you have time add your thoughts please.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id ... 306#c16306

Barry Sheerman (Huddersfield, Labour) | Hansard source

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what financial support is made available to persons over the age of 65 acting as full-time carers.

Anne McGuire (Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for Work and Pensions) | Hansard source

I have been asked to reply.

Since October 2002, carers aged 65 or over have been able to claim carer's allowance.

A carer who receives state pension at a lower rate than carer's allowance can receive an amount of carer's allowance to make up the difference. Carers who are entitled to a rate of state pension equivalent to or more than the rate of carer's allowance cannot receive both benefits. However, entitlement to carer's allowance also attracts the additional amount for carers in pension credit, currently £27.15 per week, for those eligible. More than 220,000 carers in lower-income households are gaining from this measure.

How about CUK writing to Heather Mills asking her whether she would like to support carers. She seems to be good at getting money out of people!............. Image
How about CUK writing to Heather Mills asking her whether she would like to support carers. She seems to be good at getting money out of people!............. Image

PMSL She did say she wanted to help more Image