[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
winter time. - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

winter time.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Panakelty?? Sounds filling and delicious - what is it please?
Panakelty?? Sounds filling and delicious - what is it please?
Panackelty is a food dish consisting of meat (mainly corned beef) and root vegetables (mainly potatoes and onions) left to bake throughout the day in an oven pot on low heat. Originating in the North East England, the dish was a favourite of working-class families and was traditionally eaten on Monday as the left over meat and vegetables from the previous days meal could be used.

The families of miners and shipyard workers would often prepare this meal as it could be slow cooked by a housewife during the day while she continued with other household tasks. A hungry worker coming home would also be especially satisfied with the high in fat and carbohydrate content of the dish.

There are endless interpretations of the dish, with different families using different ingredients. Other popular panackelty concoctions will include bacon, sausages, black pudding, beef stock, and occasionally pork or lamb chops and additional vegetables such as carrots.
I use corned beef and onions, add in sliced potatoes. Can be in the oven several hours. My mother in law used to add black pudding to hers ...yuk
Sounds like a variation on corned beef hash, do you put any liquid in I am going to make it this week
Black pudding...Ewwwwww.
I don't like the winter much, partner does, especially the snow, he'll drive for miles in it!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like a variation on corned beef hash, do you put any liquid in I am going to make it this week
When my nana used to make it, it was more chunky. Like the recipe says above, left over meat, this would be in chunks, her tatties would be cubed too. Like you say the one I do is more like corned beef hash. I think we will find all areas have the same dish just use different names.
I put corned beef and onions in water, place in oven for about 20 mins, take out and add the sliced tatties with a little more water. Put back in oven for any amount of time you want really. I prefer a medium heat over a longer time of 1 - 2 hours. Half way through this though I cheat, add in some Bisto gravy granules. Served piping hot with greggs stottie bread. Image
I make the Bishop Auckland version.

That's the one my Geordie Ma in Law showed me any veg you've got Cornbeef onions pot's + an OXO Cube and Bisto at the end if you want to thicken it.

And put it in a pressure cooker for 10 Min's more of a stew but as my Ma in law used to say E E Ya Bugger it's Lovely.

And believe me it is.

John
I don't like winter much and my wife hates the cold, but i do like the snow, it's nice to see snow falling and everything covered white and i enjoy making snowmen. It's ok for a couple of days but any longer and it becomes a problem as many of you will know, wheelchairs don't go in snow.
For someone who can be largely pessamistic, I like all the seasons for their own merits. I like spring because I can see the flowers, plants and weeds waking up from their slumbers (who can resist the charms of young blooms fighting their way through the soil?), summer is nice for the obvious reasons of the heat and the vacations as well as the longer days, autumn is nice for the colours and one can wrap up warm, go and sit in the garden and watch the animals scurrying about, making their last preperations for hibernation (even our carees can join us doing this). The winter snows and frosts can present us with some lovely pictureque views too
I love the winter here. The storms are spectacular- we've survived 2 hurricanes. I live right next to the sea and feel like King Canute when the waves crash and throw the spray up over our house. I love the smell of the sea. I like curling up by the stove on cold, dark winter nights but best of all there no bloody tourists walking by and peering into the windows!