[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Winter, a more difficult time for carer & who they care for. - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Winter, a more difficult time for carer & who they care for.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Nana, thats a brill idea, think I will put that into force when i am at home more. Crocus, I know it must have been embarrassing- but I had to smile when i read that Image
phoebe x
Hi everyone, For me winter is a time of dread. No way can hubby get out with his end stage emphysema, I have been confined to the house for two weeks now as I myself was ill with sinusitis and a chest infection. Had to call the GP out to us both. It has been hard, all I have done is dragged myself out of bed to make hot drinks, soup, scambled eggs and of course tend to hubby. I am worn out. My stepson was away on a well deserved holiday and am so glad he is back now doing the jobs he does for me, washing the kitchen floor, vac the carpets and shopping. Thank goodness for online shopping.
Roll on spring.
I dread the winter too. Hubby seems to sleep more when its cold and cannot be left. When he feels fragile he sleeps on the couch so I can at least do my crafts but lets face it just how many things can you make. I have a house full of finished projects and have given many away to charities and such. I get so bored and so does he. We do lots of things to occupy ourselves but what we need is people sadly most of them disappeared from our lives when we ran out of cash to go and do things. We try and go to the library but the car park is tiny and used by people who disregard the disabled sign on the bays, as for shops thats a total waste of time in December - you need a tank instead of a wheelchair. I think its going to be a long winter ! Image
I dread the winter too. Hubby seems to sleep more when its cold and cannot be left. When he feels fragile he sleeps on the couch so I can at least do my crafts but lets face it just how many things can you make. I have a house full of finished projects and have given many away to charities and such. I get so bored and so does he. We do lots of things to occupy ourselves but what we need is people sadly most of them disappeared from our lives when we ran out of cash to go and do things. We try and go to the library but the car park is tiny and used by people who disregard the disabled sign on the bays, as for shops thats a total waste of time in December - you need a tank instead of a wheelchair. I think its going to be a long winter ! Image
Ginny, could you advertise yourself as a knitter ? that way you will get to meet folks, have contact with others and earn a bit extra. If you have time and space many young ones want to learn to knit, could you do a class ? ...I don`t mean children !
I too am housebound with a blind and handicapped husband but never find time to get to my crafting !! Good luck,Brenda
Well we tend to get colder and wetter in winter (like everyone else). Sitting in a wheelchair gets the top of your legs wetter in the rain , a bit like. it does when riding a bike in the rain. People in 'chairs' (well Jan) don't subscribe to the old adage "I don't care what I look like, so long as I'm warm and dry". Most of the 'rainwear' for 'chair' users make them look like giant babies dressed in dark colours. Not a good look (apparently).

also I tend to get wetter putting the 'chair' into the car (we have a hoist). I usually get my legs wet/dirty, which is a nuisance when (on the odd occasion) we are 'dressed up'.

We also find that because of her lack of movement, Jan gets very cold (as do many others in the same position), quite quickly. It take ages for her to warm up after an outing if it's very cold.

I think it would be fair to say in the winter Jan, is less likely to go out. She can (and has) gone 2 weeks without going out in the winter.
That's the trouble with car hoists, they're so s l o w w w w. We used to see other people using them and we'd be off and away before they would (even before accessible van). The last thing we want is a wet chair for our carees to sit in. I don't know what the answer is, apart from donning a fetching DorkingSnowman type of suit (as Mark described them). Umbrellas are useless cos they drip onto legs.
Hibernation and boredom is the curse of winter for many. We used to do loads of jigsaws, hubby could spot a piece of jigswaw in the box and get me to put it in the exact right place on the board, every time. Clever at jigsaws.
Mum, who is 90, doesn't need a wheelchair but her balance is poor and so is her circulation. I get her out to the dog training class one afternoon a week, where she watches me trying to train all 3 of our dogs Image and some of the other people there engage her in conversations when they are able. Image Apart from that she only goes out when I organise a car ride somewhere - the hairdresser once a fortnight and occasional trips to relatives. I still work 2 days a week and I invite my friends for lunch / tea/ visits / evenings when I have to work late... but I am beginning to feel our friendships are turning into me 'using' friends as mum sitters. There doesn't appear to be any local day centre for the very aged - any suggestions?
This is me back again who started this discussion. The problem has been solved but not in the ideal way. 3 weeks ago my husband who has dementia & Parkinsons got a water infection and he has been in the warmth of the hospital. It took everything away. Not being able to feed himself, hold a drink, walk, go to the toilet etc. Social workers unable to get the carers needed to help look after him at home he has been transferred to the warmth of a home for the time being and hopefully be a sort of rehab giving me a sort of respite.
Urine infections really take it out of older people. My MIL went completely doo-lally when she got a urine infection. She was then transferred to a rehab unit of a care home where the OTs and Physios got her well enough to go home.