[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
WHY DO YOU CARE ? IS IT LOVE OR MONEY ? - Carers UK Forum

WHY DO YOU CARE ? IS IT LOVE OR MONEY ?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
83 posts
aint life strange as a full time carer for the old doll since 2006 and from 1997 till 2006 both STAN & the old doll i would say i am a carer for LOVE not money but like many other carers who now survive ? on £53 per week regardless of how many family members you care for and if you have a part time job or are a student or in receipt of the O.A.P. you "have" to care for LOVE as you get no reward for the care work you do looking after a family member .
Yet foster carers who can receive about £400 + per child per week for looking after someone elses children are always portrayed as being committed and loving carers who have given up so much of their lives to care for disabled and vulnerable children well ive got nowt against that foster carers do a great job when some families feel they can not cope with their children and feel all they can do is walk away from their problems and leave the state to pick up the pieces , i often wonder if the carers allowance was paid at the same rate as that given to foster carers how many families would be prepared to take on their responsabilities and look after their own children, parents who have disabled children or children with special needs iam sure many of them will see it as a financial burden and if the state "paid" them to care would they ? i think some would give it a go.
when they thats politicians talk about foster carers they never mention the fact that they are "PAID" for the work they do .

www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news ... -23862188/
Why do we have such a system that rewards foster carers for looking after someone elses problems yet we as carers who care for a family member are often punished financialy for doing so well it`s quite simple we do it for LOVE not money , well i do but i would like to do it for both.
I care for love, I would care if they charged me for the privilege of caring which, as I am having to pay for the physio and towards the IB, I suppose is what is happening. I care only for love, my love is all that keeps me going although it is no longer reciprocated. More money would make it easier to pay for things for my husband, to buy him more services to improve his quality of life and to relieve the financial pressure, it would help but it is not essential because we manage on what we have, for me financial recognition of what we do and what we have sacrificed is a matter of principle as much as anything else, a means of recognising our worth to society.
Love, plain and simply.

Sarah deserves a good quality life and I think I do my best with her. if not she would have gone back to her mum & dad so obviously i'm doing something right Image (first time for everything)

Our situation is making us worse off. I left home with about £5000 which I had earned in a p/t job whilst studying at college. That diminished within 12 months and since then i've scrimped and scraped with birthday money, grant money, loan money, christmas money but i've got to start saving as after my law degree I want to do the Bar Vocational Course which will cost at least £11000 Image However, I will need to take out a commercial loan. Hence i'm looking at a debt of at least £30,000. It'll take a fair while to pay all that back as i'm going into a low paid aspect to law (when compared with wages for commercial law). No point declaring myself bankrupt as Student loans are omitted from bankruptcy and being bankrupt makes it difficult to get a job within the legal system.
Mum and Dad looked after me when i was little now its my turn as for how much it has cost me dont ask I can do without any more depression.
Definitely Love.
Due to restrictions even though I cared for mam and brother I was unable to claim CA.Gave up work.Had to sell our council house,stuck now in a housing situation which I wish we could get out of.Do it all again? Of course.

The govt know most of us would do everything anyways.Thats how they have us over the barrel.I have friends who are foster carers,who are brilliant at it too but they do CHOOSE to do so.Some of them still work so get their wages then foster fees on top.One girl I know does not work but fosters up to 3 kids at a time.She gets just over £1000 per month as 2 of them have extra needs.If they get a call they can say No,carers do not have that luxury.I think that is possibly the wrong word to use,sounds bad when I read it back but you know what I mean.
Foster carers do a good job and we do need them = sister in law has close friend who has just retired from being a foster carer she told Pat that the money she received through foster care paid for her rather large home and she has retired early her husband still works now it aint sour grapes but i still cant understand how the state can find the cash for one group of carers but not for us poor old souls .
Definately for love. However I think carers should have their role recognised as being on a par with foster carers and paid accordingly, as in different ways we have both chosen to care.

Take care
Meg
YEH BUT YEH = HAVE THEY ALL CHOSEN JUST FOR THE LOVE OF IT Image I MUST BE HONEST IF WE COULD HAVE FOUND A CARE / REST HOME SUITABLE FOR A HUMAN BEING STAN WOULD HAVE WILLINGLY GONE INTO A CARE/ REST HOME BUT EVERY SINGLE CARE / REST HOME WAS A DUMP AND NOT FIT FOR A DOG THEREFORE I DECIDED TO GIVE UP WORK AND CARE FOR STAN SO IT WAS LOVE FOR STAN, AT THE TIME I HAD NO IDEA HOW MY MONEY WOULD VANISH PIFF PAFF POOF GONE JUSLIKETHAT.
IAM A MUCH BETTER PERSON AS A RESULT OF BEING A CARER I HAVE MORE TIME FOR OTHER PEOPLE`S PROBLEMS BUT WHO WILL LOOK AFTER ME Image WHEN IAM OLD AND KNACKERED AND WHO WILL CARE ANYWAY .
This sounds awful but its true so has to be said. Money and love didn't come into it with me, I started caring for Mum because I had to, she wouldn't go into a home and no-one else would look after her. I didn't want to give up my job that I absolutely loved and I didn't really want to end up spending my savings that I had worked hard for, but it all had to be done.
I would prefer to be paid more for what I do as very soon I will run out of savings and when the time comes for me to start living again I will be broke, which really does worry me. In an ideal world, the government would let me keep my money for my future and pay me now for what I do as a 24/7 job Image
We were posting at the same time I think George, but really posting the same in a roundabout way Image
83 posts