Why are Social Workers so vilified?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
132 posts
Colin_1705 wrote:Charm, you could go to the next level of the complaints process.

You could ask them to appoint an independent investigator from the NSPCC to conduct a thorough Enquiry for example
Thanks for that Colin. I think I'll do that obviously I can't do it in my son's case as he's 31 but this information is very useful to me thanks again:)

https://charmreallyo.wordpress.com/
Have you seen the whatdotheyknow web site?

You can see a whole range of FoI requests and answers, very illuminating
Colin_1705 wrote:Have you seen the whatdotheyknow web site?

You can see a whole range of FoI requests and answers, very illuminating
I will check that out. Thanks, Colin xx
Colin, I was reading on the FoI web site that Birmingham social care only have under 2000 adults service clients getting direct payments and children's services less than 230. Bearing in mind this is a City with a 1.1 million population that's bad. Proving people aren't getting the help so the question is..Where's all the money going?
Back to the original question, I think the reason they are so vilified is that they make so many serious mistakes where children's welfare is concerned.

Manipulative parents often seem to tell lies to social workers
It's not just children's services, but all services.

As a parent I really take exception to the term "manipulative parents". All I want as a parent of someone with learning difficulties is for my son to be healthy and happy. I can't care for him any more so have no alternative but to have social workers arrange a care package for him.
What really bugs me is when they make clear errors of fact; and omit important risk assessments, they just refused to speak to me for over a YEAR!!
What I intended to convey is that some bad parents, say with drug or alcohol abuse problems manage to "pull the wool over the eyes of some social workers"

I think it comes down to imperfect training of social workers
Colin_1705 wrote:What I intended to convey is that some bad parents, say with drug or alcohol abuse problems manage to "pull the wool over the eyes of some social workers"

I think it comes down to imperfect training of social workers
I think the truth of that is that they don't pull the wool over the Social Workers eyes, Colin. It more the case some Social Workers decide on the basis of funding all too often, to turn a blind eye.
I suspect that many complex cases are given to inexperienced social workers who are not told the full extent of the problems that the parents suffer from?
132 posts