Why are Social Workers so vilified?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
132 posts
I think the biggest problem at the moment is the computerisation of all client records. Busy social workers/care managers don't read enough of the past history. Emails are loaded onto the system, but not always read.
My son's recently decided he had moderate, rather than severe learning difficulties, because that was an opinion based on one or two visits in his flat, where he is obviously very much at home. All the old SSD paper records are apparently kept in a large warehouse, and the SW's can't be bothered to ask for them. I have a letter from the Secretary of State for Education (which SSD should also have) saying M has SEVERE learning difficulties, based on a large number of reports from doctors, clinical and educational psychologists, a special speech and language centre in London, and very experienced teachers.
bowlingbun wrote:I think the biggest problem at the moment is the computerisation of all client records. Busy social workers/care managers don't read enough of the past history. Emails are loaded onto the system, but not always read.
My son's recently decided he had moderate, rather than severe learning difficulties, because that was an opinion based on one or two visits in his flat, where he is obviously very much at home. All the old SSD paper records are apparently kept in a large warehouse, and the SW's can't be bothered to ask for them. I have a letter from the Secretary of State for Education (which SSD should also have) saying M has SEVERE learning difficulties, based on a large number of reports from doctors, clinical and educational psychologists, a special speech and language centre in London, and very experienced teachers.
Hiya Bowlingbun, I think the same but I also think (know) some of the records aren't accurate in my son's case in fact. Completely inaccurate I'd say as I had a response to my complaint by a Group Manager that 'there is no evidence that I care for 100's of hours for my son' and then that was backed up by another Group Manager. The fact I care for him 100+ hours a week doesn't even come into it. The fact he is on an 117 section doesn't come into it and the facts all Health professionals disagree with Social Care doesn't come into it. Funny you should mention 'moderate learning disabilities'. All the way through my sons 'educational years' when he wasn't allowed a placement for a total of 5 yrs on and off..It was stated' severe' learning disabilities so he couldn't be placed in a MLD school. Then when he became 'over school age' he was suddenly 'moderate'...There's got to be something in that I reckon.
I know what 'that something' is too. It's so social care don't consider for as much support as they REALLY need. Changing from severe as a child to moderate as an adult must be for that purpose.
BB, It strikes me it's very strange your son who's 38 is saying that he's moderate because I guess he wouldn't understand what moderate is compared to severe...Do you think he's been spoken to?
Okay troops , please feel free to tear this one to bits , especially the guidance sections as opposed to actual experiences :

http://carers.ripfa.org.uk/wp-content/u ... -final.pdf

A mere 29 pages to play with ....
I went to London to take part on some of RIPFA'a research, one of about 24 carers and professionals from right across the UK. I was dismayed to hear how little knowledge some of the other carers and also some of the professionals had, on a range of issues, in fact I felt like a one woman advice service at times although the others (I have a sneaky feeling that this report may have been written after this conference).
I was even more dismayed that towards the end of the conference it turned out that we were, in fact, just reinventing the wheel, that we were saying the same things as a document that already existed. If only they had given it to us at the beginning of the conference it could have been so much more constructive. What a waste of 2 days and I'd travelled 200 miles to find that out. So desperately disappointing but it shows why there is so little progress, and we go round and round in circles.
On the subject of M in particular, he is very sociable, polite, and well behaved. That is taken to mean he has "moderate" difficulties, rather than he had some parents who did their very best to help him reach his fullest potential in certain areas. BUT he cannot read, write or do any maths, my grandson over took M intellectually before his fourth birthday.
Chris From The Gulag wrote:Okay troops , please feel free to tear this one to bits , especially the guidance sections as opposed to actual experiences :

http://carers.ripfa.org.uk/wp-content/u ... -final.pdf

A mere 29 pages to play with ....
Thanks for that Chris, I have just sent it off to 'the Directorate' and told them if they wish to carry on I will break the whole thing down into mini segments to show them what they are doing wrong and when. Seeing as I can hand write 8 x double sided A4's in 1 sitting of a few hrs and now I have a PC, they are going to get sick of it long before I do. Don't you think so?
There are several Social Care " Manuals " out there.

Just type SOCIAL CARE MANUAL into a Google search ... add adults / children / an illness ... for more specific ones.

Would be " Interesting " to learn just how much input there is from the end user ... a carer / caree ... in all of these .... ?

Perhaps a " Carers Guide To Social Workers " in due course ?

Graphics section could either be censored or , not for the faint hearted , uncensored ?
Chris From The Gulag wrote:There are several Social Care " Manuals " out there.

Just type SOCIAL CARE MANUAL into a Google search ... add adults / children / an illness ... for more specific ones.

Would be " Interesting " to learn just how much input there is from the end user ... a carer / caree ... in all of these .... ?

Perhaps a " Carers Guide To Social Workers " in due course ?

Graphics section could either be censored or , not for the faint hearted , uncensored ?
Chris, I've started 'on the job'...haha
https://charmreallyo.wordpress.com/
132 posts